What name do you see on the pantograph PH?

RDUNE

Hello all,

Perhaps I've just looked at this one too long under a loupe, but the more I look at it the less certain I am about the first name. It is very lightly impressed and I've always assumed it was 'Willie'. But since it's so light, and there is just enough of a line on one side to make me wonder if it's 'Millie' or even perhaps 'Villie'. Granted, Willie is the most likely, I just wanted to see what others thought. There are several Willie's that this medal could have been awarded to and it's been aggravating trying to narrow it down. I thought before I chase the name Willie any further I'd see if others see Willie or something else.

Thanks for any input :)

-Ryan

post-44370-0-35718800-1502645600_thumb.jpg

It's a half-stamped "W". I am 100% sure. :)

On a side note, one of the many reasons I wrote my book about Purple Hearts was to get rid of the name "pantograph"...ugh...these guys were stamped...the machine engraved ones, both in large and small fonts, were done on a pantograph machine, and should actually be called "pantograph style" (though I dislike that name) rather than these that were stamped. Collector urban legends die hard... :D:)

Dave

Thanks gentlemen :) I've been staring at it all morning and mentally flip flopping on what it might be. "Yep, definitely a W. Well, maybe an M? Could also be a V, but Villie is a weird name; No it has to be a W, but then that means there are like 36 Willies to sift through...Still could be an M...The heck with it, I'll let the forum decide." :D

Oh, and my apologies, Dave, for using the incorrect terminology :blush:

Well how many soldiers have you found named "Millie J. Jackson" or Villie J. Jackson". If your answer is zero then I think your man's name is 'Willie J. Jackson".

Thanks gentlemen I've been staring at it all morning and mentally flip flopping on what it might be. "Yep, definitely a W. Well, maybe an M? Could also be a V, but Villie is a weird name; No it has to be a W, but then that means there are like 36 Willies to sift through...Still could be an M...The heck with it, I'll let the forum decide."

Oh, and my apologies, Dave, for using the incorrect terminology :blush:

No worries!! :)

It would be really cool to have gotten Millie Jackson's Purple Heart, but I think we're all pretty solid on Willie's. :)

A quick NARA search pulled up no less than 415 "Willie Jackson" entries. For what it is worth, there was one "Millie Jackson" and HE was male- Millie L. Jackson Jr.

There are eight (8) entries for the first name "Villie" but none with the last name Jackson.

Willie it is!

Allan

Well how many soldiers have you found named "Millie J. Jackson" or Villie J. Jackson". If your answer is zero then I think your man's name is 'Willie J. Jackson".

+1 Roger that! Bob

ParanormalTrooper

I found Willie J Jackson on the American Battlefield Monument Commisions website. He was with a quartermaster truck company in the USAAF when he was KIA on May 29, 1945. The only other two Willie J Jacksons KIA in WW2 were sailors. Nice medal, thanks for posting and RIP soldier!

ABMC link:

https://www.abmc.gov/node/548274#.WZDkx0FOmaM

While we see the name "Willie J Jackson" as having died in WWII, he is NOT listed as having been awarded a Purple Heart. While I can't say that I have ever seen a navy PH with this miniscule name stamping, could it be possible that the person who was awarded this medal was one of the two sailors? I can't imagine that the QM truck driver would have been awarded a PH if he wasn't KIA or DOW. I am assuming that he was a DNB.

smallprint.gifPrint

overseas_cemeteries.gif
SR.jpgWillie J. Jackson ID: 14006129
Entered the Service From: Alabama

Service: U.S. Army Air Forces, 1901st Quartermaster Truck Company, Aviation

Died: Tuesday, May 29, 1945
Buried at: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery
Plot: H Row: 4 Grave: 48

Awards:

mianew600.gif

ML.jpgWillie J. Jackson

ID: 09402864

Entered the Service From: Mississippi

Service: U.S. Navy, United States Naval Reserve

Died: Sunday, February 17, 1946

Memorialized at: Manila American Cemetery

Awards: Purple Heart

The QM Willie Jackson died after VE Day, so unless he was WIA, and later succumbed to his wounds, I would conclude that he was killed in an auto accident or other tragedy. The sailor Willie Jackson was declared dead one year and one day after he was declared missing. As you can see, he is listed as having been awarded a PH.

Comments?

Allan

ParanormalTrooper

The QM Willie Jackson died after VE Day, so unless he was WIA, and later succumbed to his wounds, I would conclude that he was killed in an auto accident or other tragedy. The sailor Willie Jackson was declared dead one year and one day after he was declared missing. As you can see, he is listed as having been awarded a PH.

Comments?

Allan

Wow, I didn't even notice the date.

Oops :P

Ben,

I think you were doing a great job of detective work. You found a casualty named Willie J Jackson. My curiosity has gotten the better of me- who do the experts think was the Willie Jackson to whom this medal should be attributed?

Allan

Here is the issue. Stamped naming was done at both separation centers and at the PQMD. That leaves it open to be any WIllie J. Jackson who was wounded or killed in the US Army during WWII.

Kurt

Thanks for all the input guys :) I had been researching it as Willie J. Jackson but there were a LOT of men by that name according to the enlistment records on the NARA site. I guess I was hoping it was something other than Willie so I could narrow it down. I've tried to narrow it down based on where I got it and what the seller told me but of course the way things travel it could be irrelevant. I bought this at the show in Raleigh, NC in June and (the best I can remember) the seller told me it came from a nurse at a VA hospital who buys veteran estates. Geographically, the closest Willie to where I bought the medal enlisted through Richmond, VA and is buried in Virginia Beach. His obituary just says that he was an army veteran and retired from Fort Story. I sent away for his records through NPRC and the response was '1973 Fire, yada yada, partially reconstructed, send $70'. However, he is just one of around 26 possible recipients according to the enlistment records on NARA so I'm reluctant to spend that much on records at this point.The Willie that is buried in Italy DNB according to the National WWII Memorial Registry website: http://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque_wardept.aspx?honoreeID=997560

• 1 month later...

StM 1c JACKSON, Willie J. 940 28 64 was on board the USS LCS (L) (3) -7 when it was hit by shore fire and suicide boats off of Corregidor on 16 Feb 1945. StM 1c Jackson is Missing in Action. His date of death is a year and a day from that date.

StM 1c JACKSON, Willie J. 940 28 64 was on board the USS LCS (L) (3) -7 when it was hit by shore fire and suicide boats off of Corregidor on 16 Feb 1945. StM 1c Jackson is Missing in Action. His date of death is a year and a day from that date.

Only minor issue is that this isn't a Navy Purple Heart...

I just noticed this thread. I can confirm that his name was Willie. I have a PH to a 504th PIR paratrooper that uses the identical impressed style, right down to the weak "W" and the use of the number "1" instead of an "I". Stamping like this was done at separation centers as has been noted. I know where my guy was separated, and I'll bet old Willie went thru the same place. Regarding the engraving style naming issue, as Dave stated medals like this were stamped using a machine that was probably similar to dog tag maker. Both types of WWII machine engraving (small and large) were done with pantograph machines. A pantograph uses a stylus and large brass letter guides hooked to an articulated arm that reduces the size of the font being engraved. Small machine engraving was done with a mechanical machine, meaning the letters were basically scraped in to the medal. Large machine engraving was done with an electric rotary head bit, producing the swirl pattern noted on originals.

Just for reference, a couple of shots of pantograph machines. The one in the shop is probably similar to the ones used during the 40s...

Screenshot_11.jpg

Screenshot_12.jpg

Thanks Dave. These are both the electric versions that were used for large machine engraving. IMO, small machine engraved medals were done with a mechanical machine.

The mechanical engraving looks sloppy on larger letters, which is why small machine engraving is, well, small...