What is the proper life preserver for US Navy F4 Phantom II pilots, Vietnam 69-73?

Duke113p

What is the proper life preserver for US Navy F4 Phantom II pilots, Vietnam 69-73? I have been scouring my Navy F4 books but there is very little in the way of photos showing pilots in full kit in Vietnam. Also i have no reference book for this info. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

By march 1968, USN squadrons received the first LPA1 life preservers (the new designation of the MK6 life preserver delivered to units during spring 1967) to replace the old MK3C. Following difficulties in march 1970, LAP-1 received modifications and were renamed LPA-2. The first 4200 LP reached the units in october 1972.

So for your period you can use all of 'em.

A study about this subject had been published in Militaria Magazine 376.

Best

Croc

Any chance you'd be looking for a LPA-1 life preserver? I was thinking about listing some stuff up for sale soon and I have a 1970 contract marked LPA-1 still packed and also has a proper clip on type Sea Dye Marker pocket with 2 markers inside. Had it with a 1973 MA-2 but the MA-2 was actually modified and placed in service 1980 so it wasn't the right fit. Will be taking pics of it soon.