M1 helmet dimples on the rim above the bales

bellasilva

I was reading a recent helmet thread and came across mention of this, but I'm still not quite sure what, if anything, the dimples meant. I have a front seam stainless rim swivel bail Schlueter with a raised dimple above each bail on the rim. I can take pictures if it'd help, but does anyone know why they are there?

Ive always thought they were there to help line up the helmet in a jig or something during the assembly process, maybe to help line up where the bails were to be welded on...just some thoughts....mike

Thanks Mike, I read that once years ago but just found it odd that I've only seen the dimples on one helmet out of the 10 or so I've owned

My suspicion is that they were intended to help keep the rim affixed to the helmet. They seem to be found only on fairly early helmets, which suggests that additional testing showed that they were not necessary and were then dispensed with.

Another plausible explanation is simply new tooling was used that did not have that affect on the appearance of the helmet meaning it was inconsequential. They were using one tool in early production, later switching to a new type of a different over all design.

• 9 months later...