Helmet of Stanley Pitchford, 27th Division, WWII

JimD

cool pic, pretty much everyone is rolling a camo helmet. was that a division or regimental level thing?

Also what is the pouch on the left hip of the guy on the right?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

cool pic, pretty much everyone is rolling a camo helmet. was that a division or regimental level thing?

Also what is the pouch on the left hip of the guy on the right?

It was done by at least both the 105th and 106th Infantry Regiments, I think probably the whole division.

I believe the pouches are an experimental type for grenades, used only by a few army units in the pacific. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Not hijack JimD's thread here, but yes those are pouches for the carrying of grenades, There are a few topics in the field gear forum about them archived years ago.

post-56-0-69906500-1502680116.jpg

post-56-0-66063500-1502680124.jpg

post-56-0-86326100-1502680134.jpg

PTO pots are among my favorite to see posted on the forum. Great to see 'em here even if I never get one like it on my shelf. It looks like the black color has a 3D bulk to it. It looks thicker than ordinary paint. Is this how it feels in hand?

Tom

PTO pots are among my favorite to see posted on the forum. Great to see 'em here even if I never get one like it on my shelf. It looks like the black color has a 3D bulk to it. It looks thicker than ordinary paint. Is this how it feels in hand?

Tom

It is very much thicker and almost like a thin tar residue. It is painted or daubed on top of the green and still has obvious brush marks.

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic collection - The flag, helmet, and engraved sword are just unbelievable! The vertical large kanji on the right side of the flag evidently means "Buun (Fortunes of war) Choukyuu (Forever/perpetually) usually translated as "Eternal Good Fortune in Battle" or something similar." according to the Wehrmacht Awards Forum - Japanese Militaria found at the link http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493366 - if you work through that pinned post you can probably interpret a some of the other large character groupings. The smaller ones will be names of the well-wishers. This site is a great resource for WWII Japanese items - I have a small collection - much more humble than yours, I am afraid.

Another excellent Japanese translation resource is https://www.jref.com/forum/good-luck-flags-militaria.206/ - where they are very happy to help you translate pre-1945 kanji. I doubt that I have to say this (but will anyway) - be respectful and courteous, and do not expect rapid results due to the time difference between the US and Japan. They have helped me, above and beyond the call of duty, in translating kanji on flags, belts, canteens, etc. Good luck!