My Grandfather

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

Im not sure if Im allowed to post this (since Filipino Guerrilla's were technically not U.S.) but he was under U.S. command in mid 1944 so I guess technically he's U.S.- plus he moved to the U.S. after the war... :)

Recently I've interviewed my Grandfather (Who never really talked about the war) who finally told me what it was like being a Filipino guerrilla after the Japanese took the Philippines. I wanted to share his story because In my honest opinion the Guerrillas in the Philippines are a very under-appreciated part of WWII.

My grandfather's name is Benjamin Verder. He said when the Americans pulled out of the Phillippines he was forced to hide in the mountains and even witnessed some landings in Quezon. In 1942 he was asked if he wanted to help the "mountain soldiers" (as he said). And he agreed. So he and a few other people from his village were told to do reconnaissance on a Large Japanese camp (he didn't specify where). It took them three months to have enough detail to draw a map. - then there's alot of details but im going to skip to late 1943- In 1943 He was sent to steal supplies (rice which was confiscated from the people of Quezon). He and his comrades were eventually caught and were about to be executed by firing squad, but apparently my grandfather did a favor for a Japanese officer (I forgot to ask him what it was- But as soon as I see him again I will) in 1942 before he joined the guerillas and he was set free. But he never told me what happened to the others. (There's some things he'll never talk about).

Unfourtunately thats where he stopped- he told me he'll finish his story when I come over to his house again.

Brokenshoveldude,

This is important stuff. I agree 100% that we have little idea what all people like your grandfather did. So, you really should pursue this as you plan, and my advice is to not put it off.

Thank him for us, and thank you,

Fielding (Capa)

I agree with Capa. Continue with this and get the rest of the story.

It's important that these stories are never forgotten. You might try recording your Grandfather so you can catch every word and then write it down. I had my step-father write down what he did during WWII before he passed away. I then typed it up and display his story with some of his items from WWII. When I do displays, I have his picutres, items and story to share with everyone.

Troy

I vote that this story be carried on the Forum!

I second that vote! :D

Really great story, as the others have mentioned, you should make sure to continue the interview and get the rest of the story.

- Jeff

BrokenShovelDude

thanks fellas, I really appreciate it! I'm very proud of my grandpa. I always think of him as one of the many unsung heroes of WWII. In January when my mom goes to the Philippines, she's going to take home my grandfather's photo album from WWII! He said there were a few pictures taken of him and his unit! I can't wait to see it, I just hope the photo's are still intact. (or still there for that matter)

I actually taped the first part of the interview but it was cut short- so when I see him again he's going to finish his story. When I finish it I might post it on youtube or something.

Thanks

thanks fellas, I really appreciate it! I'm very proud of my grandpa. I always think of him as one of the many unsung heroes of WWII. In January when my mom goes to the Philippines, she's going to take home my grandfather's photo album from WWII! He said there were a few pictures taken of him and his unit! I can't wait to see it, I just hope the photo's are still intact. (or still there for that matter)

I actually taped the first part of the interview but it was cut short- so when I see him again he's going to finish his story. When I finish it I might post it on youtube or something.

Thanks

Thats a pretty good idea. thumbsup.gif

Im not sure if Im allowed to post this (since Filipino Guerrilla's were technically not U.S.) but he was under U.S. command in mid 1944 so I guess technically he's U.S.- plus he moved to the U.S. after the war... :)

Ask the ghost of Douglas MacArthur is he ever gave up command of anyone fighting the Japanese in the PI ;) As noted at http://hubpages.com/hub/World-War-II--GUER...THE-PHILIPPINES "A single driving force was badly needed to direct the guerrilla potential into channels which could produce maximum results. As soon as the facts concerning Filipino resistance became known in 1942, it was General MacArthur's purpose to provide this direction and to weld the scattered groups into unified and responsible forces through the designation and support of responsible local commanders."

No problem with telling this story.

• 3 months later...
normaninvasion

Getting his story is a must, just think of how much of peoples history is erased due to family members lack of intrest and just think, maybe your children won't be interested but maybe your grandchildren will want this info. Being a guerilla fighter in the Philippines is defintely an important story. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I agree as well. Continue the story! My grandfather and great grandfather were also Philippine Guerillas (Philippine Scouts). My grandfather's cousin was in the US Army and killed during the Bataan Death March. My grandfather told me these stories years ago but I remembered them to this day and wrote it down just a few months back. He's back in the Philippines now so I can't ask him much about the war anymore.

• 4 months later...
fortworthgal

Another vote for continuing this great story!!! I have a lot of interest in the Philippines and early WWII, it is an oft-overlooked aspect of the war by many people. He is definitely one of the unsung heroes and those are the stories that need to be preserved.