Frank@hoboken

Does anyone know how a badge attaches to the felt of a shako similar to the 1872 type. The badge is the two prong.

post-167962-0-77962200-1502465341.jpg

post-167962-0-50456700-1502465368.jpg

Frank@hoboken

the badge was bought with the hat but the hat has no holes. Is it normal to make initial holes in antique shakos lol.

I believe you're overthinking the process. Center the plate on the shako front. Mark where holes should go on the front of the shako (based on where the prongs are touching the shako front) punch the holes and affix the plate. Not much more can be added to describing a very common sensical process. It's not like you're replacing the transmission on a car.

Kurt

Did the US use leather wedges (at any time)like the Germans did to mount the plates or did they always just fold the wire loops?

Just curious as I never have owned a US example but seen a lot of plates and my expeiance with plates in general is emptying them of the food put on them.... :blush::)

Kurt

Did the US use leather wedges (at any time)like the Germans did to mount the plates or did they always just fold the wire loops?

Just curious as I never have owned a US example but seen a lot of plates and my expeiance with plates in general is emptying them of the food put on them.... :blush::)

haha. I'm mainly familiar with Federal headgear. My observations have been the prongs/wires just being pushed through and bent. But who's to say a piece of leather wasn't used if wire loops were on the reverse of the plate?

With the shako in question, I think it's reasonable to think the prongs were just pushed through. Probably no wrong answer here. And, with this plate and shako, I doubt there were any regulations/quality control measures on the affixing of plates (assuming that plate even belongs on that shako).

Thanks Kurt!!

It just made me wonder as I'm guessing they would have to be removed to clean the helmet body or polish the insignia if they did so.

Only real head gear I have is a IW period kepi in rough shape and the sabres are cloth.bullion sew on type.

Frank@hoboken

I don't particularly know if this plate goes with this shako then. So I'm going to try and make sure before I damage it I bought the whole thing as is but it was listed as the plate needed to be re attached. I'm just trying to make sure it's a 71st New York shako before I put the plate on. The last photo is the hat with the plate positioned. That's how it was listed. It's a great hat. Just want to legitimately make sure this badge can go on this hat. If not I'll find a correct one. If anyone wth knowledge of New York regiments post civil war knows. Thanks.

post-167962-0-13564300-1502484693.jpg

post-167962-0-88475400-1502484712.jpg

post-167962-0-95103600-1502484722.jpg

post-167962-0-76170500-1502484731.jpg

• 5 months later...
lost-and-found-history

I believe you're overthinking the process. Center the plate on the shako front. Mark where holes should go on the front of the shako (based on where the prongs are touching the shako front) punch the holes and affix the plate. Not much more can be added to describing a very common sensical process. It's not like you're replacing the transmission on

Speaking of, I cant seem to find that thread anywhere and need to replace my transmission. Are there prongs or anything I should know about first?