Salty Vietnam Era Helmet, real?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What are your opinions? Used in Vietnam? Real but not used in Vietnam, fake/ reenactor?

I know helmets used in Vietnam are very rare, of course I'd like it to be, but it's unlikely, especially because the 26th Infantry Division didn't go to Vietnam.

post-153751-0-79910900-1502430843_thumb.jpg

Has a Staff SGT rank on the front, and "L F C" written above and to the viewers left, " L F C" written in 3 places on the cover, other than that I see no markings, which IMO is a good sign, most fakes are crazy over the top. The cover is stained a very dark color, it looks even a little darker in person than in the photos. It is lighter where a camouflage band was once around the cover. The Cover is a high arch one, the kind that was introduced in 1969.

post-153751-0-41473300-1502430958_thumb.jpg

More photos to come in comments.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-44773800-1502431161_thumb.jpg

The seller had it listed as a WWII helmet and was selling all sorts of antiques, not just military items, which is a good sign.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-56804100-1502431402_thumb.jpg

My photos turned out bad, but the sweatband has a DSA contract, but I can't see the date because it is right after it goes through the buckel

post-153751-0-56815900-1502431402_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-78734400-1502431504_thumb.jpg

The shell is a front seam, swivle loop, which I think is a good sign, no reason for a faker to use a WWII helmet.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-42011500-1502431559.jpg

There are some weird sparkles on the cover, especially near the bottom rim, I wonder if they are from this.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-78738900-1502431702_thumb.jpg

This non rusted scratch worries me, perhaps it was done by accident fairly recently, but maybe it was a faker adding damage to the cover with a knife?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-07443900-1502431822_thumb.jpg

This one has what looks like bare metal on the right side of the slit, not where the cover is ripped.

Cap I like it , the grime for me and the general wear looks consistent.

Also I'm likin the grafitti

Congrats , I would be happy to own it

Probably would never know definitively if it was used in Vn without provenance. I would offer that the dark staining of the cover is opposite of the sun bleached look of helmets in Vn. Just my thoughts.

I tend to agree with you. However, that could be specific to MOS. If straight 11B, then I would expect a dry sun-bleached look. This cover has a black shiny dirt to it, almost like a grease. Could be a motor pool lid, truck driver, who knows? Bottom line, based on what is KNOWN, it's a dirty worn cover. Whether it was in Vietnam - or got that way from kids playin with it - is a guess.

Probably would never know definitively if it was used in Vn without provenance. I would offer that the dark staining of the cover is opposite of the sun bleached look of helmets in Vn. Just my thoughts.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That would be the DUI for the 169th Infantry Regt., Connecticut NG.

Brent

THANK YOU, I spent a lot of time searching through the Institute of Heraldry's database and coming up with hundreds of results.

I agree, however, I have seen some pictures of guys in Vietnam with dark helmet covers, maybe they are just wet, I can't tell.

THANK YOU! I spent a lot of time searching through the The Institute of heraldry's database and getting hundreds of results.

I would buy this helmet in a heartbeat ! I see nothing that I don't like about this one.

Love that greasy look ,

Once again congrats

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I would buy this helmet in a heartbeat ! I see nothing that I don't like about this one.

Love that greasy look ,

Once again congrats

Thanks, I'd rather have one of your ID'd helmet that you know where there.

Would it be likely that LFC was sent to a different unit and went to Vietnam?

Chickenpuffball

What are your opinions? Used in Vietnam? Real but not used in Vietnam, fake/ reenactor?

I know helmets used in Vietnam are very rare, of course I'd like it to be, but it's unlikely, especially because the 26th Infantry Division didn't go to Vietnam.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Front.jpg

Has a Staff SGT rank on the front, and "L F C" written above and to the viewers left, " L F C" written in 3 places on the cover, other than that I see no markings, which IMO is a good sign, most fakes are crazy over the top. The cover is stained a very dark color, it looks even a little darker in person than in the photos. It is lighter where a camouflage band was once around the cover. The Cover is a high arch one, the kind that was introduced in 1969.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif LeftSide.jpg

More photos to come in comments.

Real or not, I like the look.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

i'm digging it, good look to it and as others have said pretty grimy.

could it be a possibility that even though its a 26th Infantry Division marked liner the owner may have still gone to VN?

seconded to another unit or some such?

Thanks, I'd rather have one of your ID'd helmet that you know where there.

Would it be likely that LFC was sent to a different unit and went to Vietnam?

It just takes time and a lot of luck , like Justin said these named Vietnam rigs with provenance from the family just never ever come up , there are grafitti rigs out there but it's just so raw to say it's actually 100% been there.

Your lid to me looks like it would have been used in theatre , the grease and dirt looks like it's spent time in a wet , sweaty environment.

I would have bid on it , if you picked it up for a good price then I would be super happy with it on display.

We will never know 100% whether is saw combat but I really like it

• 2 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It was pointed out to me that the sweatband is a Steinberg Bro's Inc, who's earliest contract was 1971 as far as I know, making it even less likely this helmet was used in Vietnam, not that it was in the first place.