1903 springfield rifle, ww1 yankee division

brad k

this rifle belonged to a member of the 103rd field artillery of the 26th division, acording to his daughter it was his from the war. there are always big arguments on the gun forums about u.s. firearms being legit bring backs that make for some interesting reading. this rifle is from mid 1918 and is exactly the way it should be when it was first manufactured. I really like it and wanted to share it on the forum.

post-195-0-40448000-1502390264_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

Great looking rifle.

The sling made by Ladew was interesting. I believe that the maker was the Edward R. Ladew Company of NY. It made a wide variety of leather products including the scabbards for the M1909 bolos made in WW1.

Regards,

Charlie

Great looking rifle. As for "bring-backs" they are rare but happened. I know a person whose father had one. His father was a company commander in a National Guard division, and at war's end his soldiers took his M1903 apart and smuggled the rifle in pieces back to the United States. Back in the states, the unit armorer put the rifle back together and they presented the rifle to their Company Commander at one of their early reunions. I've seen the rifle and have no doubt about the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Very desireable piece. Very few are found that have escaped post WW1 Arsenal rebuild and parkerizing. Yours appears to be as manufactured, with the correct blueing.