EAMEC ribbon from hospital ship work

Lightech

These are the ribbons worn by a member of the Army Nurse Corps serving on the USAHS Chateau Thierry.

The American Defense Service Medal was received because she enlisted before Pearl Harbor occurred.

The American Campaign Medal was received for serving on the USAHS Chateau Thierry for more than 60 days, right?

The EuropeanAfricanMiddle Eastern Campaign Medal was received for working on a hospital ship in Europe, right? One of the battle stars was for her work in the Southern France campaign in Aug/Sept 1944. But what could the other star be for? Online searches tell me that the Chateau Thierry only received one battle star.

My grandmother was 1st Lieutenant Erva I Watson, ANC. She volunteered for the Red Cross Army Reserve in June 1941 and was sent to Camp Barkeley. She joined the Army Nurse Corps and stayed at Camp Barkeley until she was transferred in Oct 1943 to New York to serve overseas. She was in the 208th Hospital Ship Comp. serving on the USAHS Chateau Thierry. After the D-Day campaign in Southern France, she worked for 48 hours straight (while suffering a fever) until she collapsed. She was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was hospitalized due to its quickly advancing crippling effects. But she took a furlough, got pregnant, and was back on her feet again by January 1945. She was not discharged until April 1945 when she was 5mo pregnant and showing. We don't know what she did from Jan-Apt 1945.

post-164659-0-11609300-1502379509_thumb.png

That is a real treasure! Anyone would be proud to have a grandmother with such a story. Makes ME want to create a shadow box for her. Thank you for sharing her story.

ParanormalTrooper

Wow, that's super cool!

Can't help you with the second star, but I'm sure someone here can.

Thanks for sharing.

I would think her award of the American Campaign Medal would be based on her service in the United States before she was assigned to the ship.

I believe the award required 1 year of service in the lower 48 or 30 days outside of it.

I would think her award of the American Campaign Medal would be based on her service in the United States before she was assigned to the ship.

I believe the award required 1 year of service in the lower 48 or 30 days outside of it.

That's what I'd think but it lists criteria as:

1. On permanent assignment outside the continental limits of the United States.

2. Permanently assigned as a member of a crew of a vessel sailing ocean waters for a period of 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days.

3. Outside the continental limits of the United States in a passenger status or on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days.

4. In active combat against the enemy and was awarded a combat decoration or furnished a certificate by the commanding general of a corps, higher unit, or independent force that the Soldier actually participated in combat.

5. Within the continental limits of the United States for an aggregate period of 1 year.

I don't fully understand what that means, but she fulfills #2 so I assumed.

When I researched someone on an Army hospital ship, this is what was sent under FOIA. But that person served past WW2. so their records probably weren't affected by the infamous fire in 1973? If you don't have copies of your grandmothers records, the fire could be an issue for your research. So this is an example of the 2nd or 3rd requirement you mention.

stmihiel.jpg

You might try hiring a researcher (check the section of the forum for individual and unit research) to see if there are any records for your grandmother, that would probably answer some questions.