Extremely moth eaten USN Jumper, what to do?

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Hello! I purchased this uniform grouping named to a HN3c who served on the USS Sangay late war off of eBay today. I paid $28 for it. Anyways, the white uniform is in fairly nice shape, but the jumper itself is heavily moth eaten.

I'm thinking of perhaps taking the patches off? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Ben

ParanormalTrooper

Pics:

post-162053-0-40792700-1502315179_thumb.jpg

Note that there are more holes than the section in this close up, I just wanted to show some of the damage up close.

post-162053-0-51473500-1502315230_thumb.jpg

And the other uniform set

post-162053-0-15875100-1502315260_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

How bad is it, do you have a photo? I am not bothered by mothing if it is still mostly there. The point is it is original, and you only get one chance with it.

Spoke too soon. It's rough, but I think I would keep it as-is. Others will disagree. It is yours, but as bad as it looks it is still intact, just damaged.

RustyCanteen

I do think you should seal it up as soon as you get it, and read up on how other collectors handle uniforms which have been exposed to moths.

Wear it to church...it's holey! Sorry, I tried but could not resist. I understand your dilemma. As a collectible, it's valueless, but as a piece of history priceless in it's own way. I have a few items I am in a similar situation with.

Mikie

I do think you should seal it up as soon as you get it, and read up on how other collectors handle uniforms which have been exposed to moths.

seal and freezer it for a few days then repeat is what I'd do...is that what you are referring to RustyCanteen?

I feel your pain Paranormal. I have trouble passing up stuff like this - inexpensive - and I feel a little sentimental about the service member. I can never bring myself to cut off patches or otherwise part it out. It represents a sailor's time and place in history, and parting it out erases that record. BUT, that is why I have a closet full of moth eaten uniforms...

If you could clean it up and press it, the group would probably display well on hangars showing off the patches.

ParanormalTrooper

Thanks guys for your help. I'll seal it up and put it in the freezer right away as suggested.

I think I'll keep the uniform together, but I'll decide for sure once it gets here in the mail

Thanks again!