Hurricane (WWII RAF/PAF)

Gregory

• 5 months later...

In 2018 there will be two movies on 303 Fighter Squadron of the Polish Air Force in the RAF. One of them is "Hurricane" produced by Mel Gibson, the second one is "303 Squadron" produced by Polish-international team.

Here is a poster of this second war drama "303 Squadron". If you see Witold Urbanowicz's sentence there -- he is the same Urbanowicz who was the only one Polish fighter pilot in Gen. Chennault's Flying Tigers, China.

post-75-0-81989500-1518129949_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see it.- I love those Hurricanes. It must have taken real guts to go up against planes that you knew could outperform yours. I know they say the Hurricanes went for the bombers while the Spits took on the fighters There was a US Olympic bobsledder, Richie Rich type, who flew Hurricanes but died from burns (I think). Great story. I know others here will know who that was. Seems like a movie that you will not have a big general release but perhaps not.

I do not know what Hurricane(s) was/were used by Mel Gibson for his movie.

For the Polish-international movie it was 1942-built airworthy Hurricane Mk XIIa of the Historic Aircraft Collection. They still have it on slider in their website.

• 4 months later...

The Polish release on August 31st. When in the other countries - I do not know unfortunately, media do not inform.

The trailer looks great! Can’t wait to see it! It’s about time a movie was made to honour the brave Polish pilots who flew with the RAF!

That's incredible time - this August two movies on 303 are released simultaneously. One Gibson-made, second one Polish-made.

Can't wait to see it.- I love those Hurricanes. It must have taken real guts to go up against planes that you knew could outperform yours. I know they say the Hurricanes went for the bombers while the Spits took on the fighters There was a US Olympic bobsledder, Richie Rich type, who flew Hurricanes but died from burns (I think). Great story. I know others here will know who that was. Seems like a movie that you will not have a big general release but perhaps not.

Sundance,

The American you are referring to is Billy Fiske. Fiske was a well to do American and you are correct, he captained the US Four Man Bobsled team in the 1928 and 1932 Olympics. Winning the Gold Medal both times. He flew with RAF 601 Squadron, called the "Millionaires Squadron". On August 16, 1940 Billy Fiske was shot down by a German Stuka rear gunner, crash landed his aircraft but died 48 hours later from his injuries. He was the first American killed in the Battle of Britain.

• 1 month later...

"Hurricane" by David Blair

When it comes to me -- 6.5 point in 10-point scale.

CGI -- sometimes very good; sometimes very poor. Several times I was under the impression that I see Harry Potterꞌs climate during afternoon air combats.

Flight mechanics by CGI -- as above, sometimes very good; sometimes very poor with the same fundamental errors as in "Red Tails" movie. Where was pilotage consultant in both cases? Even Sea Harrier using its VIFFing would be unable to fight as 1940s era piston engin fighters CGIꞌed by quasi experts.

I understand of course movie industry "licentia poetica" but there are some boundaries.

Fighter ace Jan Zumbach was in fact an elegant, well mannered man with very neat haircut. And who is an actor Iwan Rheon (playing Zumbach) in this movie? Permanently unshaved, dirty, gloomy slob with idiotic haircut of greasy hair. What is more, Zumbach has never hijacked (as in this movie) an airplane in France to evacuate himself to UK. He arrived to UK on board of ship. Who created Zumbach for this movie as a psychopathic grim? He was able to smile.

The same goes for the other Polish characters in this movie.

Compare Iwan Rheon (playing Zumbach) and real Jan Zumbach below.

post-75-0-76392700-1534676626_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-31276100-1534676642_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-82885400-1534676660.jpg

post-75-0-78886600-1534676673_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...