Civil war or Pre civil war ammo pouch

So can anyone tell me the actual date this came from. I have seen them listed as civil war and war of 1812 I don't see a date with the maker.

AW Decrow

Maker

Bangor ME

post-167020-0-30870500-1502065225_thumb.jpg

post-167020-0-58213300-1502065244_thumb.jpg

It is very nice and from the civil war. Google "decrow ammunition pouch" and the first item listed looks like yours and they date it 1861.

Google's web crawlers are so good that this post already shows up on the first page of my search for a "Decrow Ammunition Pouch". I would assume that makes it rather rare since there are not many hits.

it's pretty neat to see that it's still filled with the original ammunition. I saw one still filled up in an almost complete grouping along with some items from two brothers , the only thing missing were his rifle, shoes and kepi, everything had been in the same house since the civil war but unfortunately everything was broken up.

It's a shame that collections get broken up. But sometimes each member of the family wants something. I guess that's better than no one in the family wanting anything.

This pouch was full when I found it originally cleaning up my fathers place. After he passed away word got around and some dope fiend broke into his place. While trashing the store the burglar also opened this up and tore one of the paper rounds open to see what was inside. I found the powder and paper laying near the case. I guess I should have saved hat as well but I was a little upset and not thinking preservation.

awesome civil war cartridge box!! - the ammo inside is da icing :)

Model 1861 box with riveted belt loops

Marking of boxes stated Nov 1861 and was mandatory on July 1862

Sgt. Stubby

Wow very nice. I love seeing the contents!

"While trashing the store the burglar also opened this up and tore one of the paper rounds open to see what was inside."

I hope he tried smoking it.

- Comstock

Fortunately he did get arrested for the burglary. I doubt he got much time in the over crowded California penal system.

It's a shame that collections get broken up. But sometimes each member of the family wants something. I guess that's better than no one in the family wanting anything.

This pouch was full when I found it originally cleaning up my fathers place. After he passed away word got around and some dope fiend broke into his place. While trashing the store the burglar also opened this up and tore one of the paper rounds open to see what was inside. I found the powder and paper laying near the case. I guess I should have saved hat as well but I was a little upset and not thinking preservation.

it wasn't a family issue, but an antique dealer that bought the house and contents and was overwhelmed by the civil war dealers beating down the door when the word got out, from what I understood it was the c.w. dealer that broke it up. I was going to go back and take pictures but it was already gone.

it wasn't a family issue, but an antique dealer that bought the house and contents and was overwhelmed by the civil war dealers beating down the door when the word got out, from what I understood it was the c.w. dealer that broke it up. I was going to go back and take pictures but it was already gone.

I guess that does happen.

• 4 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Do you see the cartridges with blue paper? They were specially designed "cleaner rounds" to help unfoul a barrel after heavy firing. Google what the projectile looks like (different from a typical minie projectile) as it was an ingenious idea and supposedly worked pretty well.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Oh I forgot to mention that they were called "William's Cleaners" and the lead bullet had a zinc plate that would push up against the lead when the round was fired, squeeze out and scrape the barrel as the bullet traveled through the rifling.

Paul