WWI Engineers Jacket

byf41

Nice uniform...the patch denotes the OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS (not, "combat engineers")

Great information! Is that the Chief Engineer of the AEF or the one at the War Department? Thanks!

Also, nice uniform to see, thanks for the post!

Justin B.

Great information! Is that the Chief Engineer of the AEF or the one at the War Department? Thanks!

Justin B.

I believe the patch was worn by personnel assigned to the Office of the Chief Engineer, AEF.

The chief engineer, American Expeditionary Forces, had a threefold duty: He served as Engineer adviser to the commander in chief, as technical supervisor of all Engineer services directed by chief engineers of lesser commands, and he commanded the office of the chief engineer, American Expeditionary Forces. As head of the office, he was the commander of all Engineer troops not assigned or attached to tactical or territorial commands. On 11 November, 1918, there were 174,000 troops under the direct command or the technical supervision of the Chief Engineer, A. E. F.

Chevrons on left cuff indicate 12 (+) months overseas. The red chevron on the left sleeve indicates he had been discharged.

G

RustyCanteen

Nice 'M1918' aka 'Pershing' simplified service coat. The coats with the internal (instead of exterior patch pockets) pockets are harder to find.

Any Idea what It might be worth ? I looked around and couldn't find one like It . The Jacket Is pretty chewed up by moths and missing a couple buttons .

Justin B.

Justin: Quite likely AEF as shoulder sleeve insignia was not authorized for stateside units. As Gil indicated, as well, the overseas chevrons would point to AEF service.

JAG

Justin: Quite likely AEF as shoulder sleeve insignia was not authorized for stateside units. As Gil indicated, as well, the overseas chevrons would point to AEF service.

That's what I thought but it's not an area I know a lot about, thanks again for the info.

Justin B.