Boyt 43 Sheaths - Advanced help needed identifying (please)

usmce4

Frank Trzaska

Both of the OP photos posted are fakes. The sheaths could be WW II era sheaths but some nitwit ruined them with the fake stamping on them. It is a shame someone would ruin an artifact for a few extra bucks like this.

That said I ruined quite a few old knives by throwing them at trees, the ground, prying with the tips and just losing them as a kid...

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Both of the OP photos posted are fakes. The sheaths could be WW II era sheaths but some nitwit ruined them with the fake stamping on them. It is a shame someone would ruin an artifact for a few extra bucks like this.

That said I ruined quite a few old knives by throwing them at trees, the ground, prying with the tips and just losing them as a kid...

All the best

Frank Trzaska

How else are you going to open a paint can without a KA-BAR? (joke)

Thanks for making it official, Frank. I appreciate it

Art

Just so nobody else gets stuck, here are the markings close-up

post-168413-0-66048200-1502492379_thumb.jpg

I thought I would add some pictures of real Boyt 43 sheaths to help members identify reproductions.

I went out and got 3 boxes of KA-BARS with Boyt 43 sheaths. There are 4 to 6 knives per box and I picked 6 knives at random. The first picture shows the 6 Boyt 43 sheaths I picked. The first 2 are unmarked as to service and the last 4 are marked U.S.N. on the front of the sheath.

I noticed the first 2 sheaths had a steel keeper rivet while the U.S.N. marked sheaths had a brass keeper rivet.

The USMC Boyt 43 markings are different.

post-165606-0-72017800-1502546825_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

So it appears that whether the number 4 has an "open top" or "closed top" is not a useful identifier of a fake as Mikedon's excellent pics show both open top and closed top 4s on his genuine USN and USMC sheaths.

Thanks to Mikedon for his pics, and to Frank T. for calling the foul ball on the original poster's sheaths.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

So it appears that whether the number 4 has an "open top" or "closed top" is not a useful identifier of a fake as Mikedon's excellent pics show both open top and closed top 4s on his genuine USN and USMC sheaths.

Thanks to Mikedon for his pics, and to Frank T. for calling the foul ball on the original poster's sheaths.

Regards,

Charlie

So USN closed top 4, USMC open top 4?

So USN closed top 4, USMC open top 4?

I am no expert but based on all of the WWII Boyt leather MARK 2 sheaths in my collection and the others I have seen I would say that is correct.