60's Reserve chute on the bottom of a duffel bag

G-Company

post-161446-0-18336400-1502053487_thumb.jpg

Yesterday i bouhgt a duffel bag full of items in a second hand store.

I stumbled upon a duffel bag at the front of the store and the woman behind the counter (clearly wanting to sell it) almost threw it in my hands for a small prize.

I took it with me having seen a compass inside and some 90's materials, nato related.

Does anyone have any information about this reserve chute, what does P I S mean as seen in the last picture?

Any idea about what it is worth?

Probably an inspection or other type marking done in April 1969

Chute was made in 1967 and the hook buckle looks to be dated 1966

phantomfixer

PIS Put In Service? the nylon canopy had to be removed every couple of years from the date of service versus the date of manufacture IIRC

Would this be the kind of chest pack to be used in the Vietnam period? Any thoughts about what it is worth? Thanks for the information.

The white straps are modifications of some type or purpose and were not on the standard used reserve chute.

Is there a log book with chute? Often the book is in a pouch on the back of the chute container.

It looks like the snaps have been reversed to make the chute sit lower which is a skydiving modification.

Doyler, you are right. The white straps are stotched with a green thread, the other stitching is black. And no log book or attatched pouch on the back side.