An American Volunteer with the Royal Flying Corp

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre
I just read through this thread......I'm speechless. This is the kind of grouping I dream about!

Thanks Wingcommander! I appreciate the compliment!

• 2 weeks later...
Croix de Guerre

I wish we had a "Help" section or some kind of "Looking for Info on" post but since we don't here goes. I am writing in the hope that some one out there may have or know of information concerning a Dr. Charles H. Maxson of Baltimore, MD who while on detached service with the Brits, was captured in May-June of 1918. Here is a newspaper clipping;

Dr. Charles H. Maxson (1882-?) - Los Angeles Times, May 18, 1918

From: “Our Dead in France”; Twice Captured; BALTIMORE. May 17. – Lieut. Charles W. Maxson of Baltimore, reported missing in today’s casualty list, was twice before captured by Germans, escaping the first time and being rescued by British troops the second time. In each case, Maxson, attached to the Medical Corps, British army was on the battlefield attending wounded. Lieut. Maxson’s wife received a letter from him yesterday which said that he was back with the British troops and had been decorated twice for bravery.

He doesn't show up in Marylanders in the Great War as I think he may have originally been from NY or New Hampshire. I also don't think he was attached to a Maryland National Guard unit either.

If any one out there has his uniform or a photo, I'd sure like to speak with you! Here is an excerpt from a narrative I have that was written by Tommy.

"There were to my delight three Americans in the camp, the first I had seen in months and it did not take long to make myself known and to explain that under my British tunic there beat the heart of a true Missourian. Two of these American were doctors; Maxon of Baltimore, Maryland and Kane of Washington State. The third was an American pilot by the name of Frank Wardle of Memphis, Tennessee. Doctors were considered non-combatants and if taken prisoner, they were supposed to be exchanged. Maxon and Kane had been on detached service with the British and they had hopes of being released soon. " From the Heavens Into Hunland by George F. Thomson RAF 74 Squadron

Tom,

I would check search JAMA, as it appears that he was an author and involved in war preparation during WWII. When I google it, his name pops up in a few of their publications. Make sure you are looking for Charles W. not Charles H.

Good luck!

Croix de Guerre
Tom,

I would check search JAMA, as it appears that he was an author and involved in war preparation during WWII. When I google it, his name pops up in a few of their publications. Make sure you are looking for Charles W. not Charles H.

Good luck!

You threw me with the "JAMA" for a minute,,I was like,,"JAMA,,what the heck is that? I've never heard of that database before"? :lol: It never occured to me to look there. Now I need to run down the other doctor but I have even less to go on.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Croix de Guerre

I'm resurrecting this thread to appeal to the forum members for help. I have been working on a book about this pilot for several years now and I am rapidly moving towards completion. I am in need of photographs of RFC 92 Squadron to illustrate a chapter on his training period. If any one has photos that they would be willing to share. Please contact me.

• 1 month later...
Croix de Guerre

For those of you that are interested. I am pleased to announce that my book about this pilot George "Tommy" Thomson will be available sometime in early June 2013.

Truly amazing story.

Very well told.

And the collection's intertwining provenance just adds to the stimulus.

Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful artifacts.

AAF_Collection

Croix,thank you for sharing this amazing group and story,I have just read the entire thread and will be going back to it again. Please post details when your book is published as I would like to buy a copy.

Regards,

Matt.

Croix de Guerre

Croix,thank you for sharing this amazing group and story,I have just read the entire thread and will be going back to it again. Please post details when your book is published as I would like to buy a copy.

Regards,

Matt.

You are very welcome!

• 4 months later...
Croix de Guerre

Waking this thread up again with the hope that perhaps some new member may be able to help out.

Any one recognize this pilot? He was a POW in 1918. He shows up in a number of images I have from Karlsruhe, and Camstigall-bei-Pillau. His name may have been Cecil Marsden.

post-3356-0-04682500-1367248095.jpg

• 3 years later...
Jeffrey Magut

I wish we had a "Help" section or some kind of "Looking for Info on" post but since we don't here goes. I am writing in the hope that some one out there may have or know of information concerning a Dr. Charles H. Maxson of Baltimore, MD who while on detached service with the Brits, was captured in May-June of 1918. Here is a newspaper clipping;

Dr. Charles H. Maxson (1882-?) - Los Angeles Times, May 18, 1918

From: “Our Dead in France”; Twice Captured; BALTIMORE. May 17. – Lieut. Charles W. Maxson of Baltimore, reported missing in today’s casualty list, was twice before captured by Germans, escaping the first time and being rescued by British troops the second time. In each case, Maxson, attached to the Medical Corps, British army was on the battlefield attending wounded. Lieut. Maxson’s wife received a letter from him yesterday which said that he was back with the British troops and had been decorated twice for bravery.

He doesn't show up in Marylanders in the Great War as I think he may have originally been from NY or New Hampshire. I also don't think he was attached to a Maryland National Guard unit either.

If any one out there has his uniform or a photo, I'd sure like to speak with you! Here is an excerpt from a narrative I have that was written by Tommy.

"There were to my delight three Americans in the camp, the first I had seen in months and it did not take long to make myself known and to explain that under my British tunic there beat the heart of a true Missourian. Two of these American were doctors; Maxon of Baltimore, Maryland and Kane of Washington State. The third was an American pilot by the name of Frank Wardle of Memphis, Tennessee. Doctors were considered non-combatants and if taken prisoner, they were supposed to be exchanged. Maxon and Kane had been on detached service with the British and they had hopes of being released soon. " From the Heavens Into Hunland by George F. Thomson RAF 74 Squadron

I read this thread when it initially appeared and was amazed by the amount of information. I never thought I would have anything of value to add to it...until yesterday when I acquired a photograph of Charles W Maxson. This image of Maxson in civilian attire was acting as a bookmark in his YMCA POW diary.

post-121-0-61834700-1463093705.jpg

post-121-0-07112500-1463093718.jpg

• 1 month later...

I discovered this thread several weeks ago, and I have greatly enjoyed going through every detail , little bit at a time! It really is an amazing piece of history as so many collector/historians have commented over the years! I have collected such WWI American groups since 1980, and I've never seen a better group. Thanks again for sharing this dream come true with all of us! By the way, Croix, is your book still available?

David

Croix de Guerre

I read this thread when it initially appeared and was amazed by the amount of information. I never thought I would have anything of value to add to it...until yesterday when I acquired a photograph of Charles W Maxson. This image of Maxson in civilian attire was acting as a bookmark in his YMCA POW diary.

How amazing! Thank you so very much!

• 2 years later...

Amazing group. Its weird my favorite groups on the forum are all WWI related.

Group to Waldo Pierce, Lafayette group to Rheno, and Riff War group to Walter Sussan.

• 2 years later...
Croix de Guerre
On 6/24/2016 at 11:55 AM, Tennessee said:

I discovered this thread several weeks ago, and I have greatly enjoyed going through every detail , little bit at a time! It really is an amazing piece of history as so many collector/historians have commented over the years! I have collected such WWI American groups since 1980, and I've never seen a better group. Thanks again for sharing this dream come true with all of us! By the way, Croix, is your book still available?

David

Thank you David.  I've been off the forum for many years and am now catching up some long overdue correspondance.   

• 2 years later...
Croix de Guerre
14 minutes ago, warguy said:

Where is it for sale?

Right here.  If you are interested, please send me a message.