US Navy Sky Knights patch ID: VT-15 training squadron

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might be able to confirm what this patch is. It was in the company of some other US Navy patches but they were all Anti Submarine or VS Squadron patches. The only reference I can find for a US Navy Squadron nickname of Sky Knights is VA-95, Attack Squadron 95, but I have been unable to locate any of their patches with this design or anything remotely close. It is a nicely done chain stitch embroidery on black wool.

post-2744-0-16122100-1501942180_thumb.jpg

The red checker board background pattern is similar to the design used by Antisubmarine Squadron 22, VS -22. Their patch does feature a very small knight's (horse's) head in one of the blocks so I wonder if it might be related to them as well although I could not find any reference for them using the nickname Sky Knights. Just a thought as this was with other VS Squadron patches.

post-2744-0-65377900-1501942216_thumb.jpg

I believe it is a training squadron, the number escapes me right now. I do not believe it is VA 95 (the first) which was nick named the Sky Knights

Thank you gentlemen. I was not even thinking along those lines. Any idea about where and when this was worn? Using your ID I have been looking on line for additional information about the squadron but have been unable to really turn up anything.

Thanks Bearmon. I did look at the VP Navy site before posting my previous response and saw that they had this identified as a torpedo squadron but I though maybe that information was wrong. As I dug a little deeper I found this patch identified on another site as Torpedo Squadron 15. Hmmmm :dry:

VT_15_patch.jpg

I started looking too, the second patch you show is indeed torpedo squadron 15 VP NAVY has a photo with that design on one of the planes. added below.

I do think the original patch posted is VT15 as the patch on VP navy shows (it has the tab) but not WW 2 vintage.

post-582-0-35912900-1501986983.jpg

post-582-0-94871800-1501987083_thumb.jpg

(was this with set of 7 or so patches listed by 2cooldudes earlier this week?)

No, i did not see those listings you mention from 2cooldudes. I picked this up back in June. How much longer after WW II were torpedo bomber squadrons still active? I just assumed most of the squadrons had been phased out following the war's end.

• 6 years later...

Morning all ... just signed up to this forum and found your post.  Uncle Greg's PT aircraft was shot down in early '62 off the coast of VA.  Yeah - I know ... "OFF THE COAST OF VA???" Long story, but yep.  The Navy returned this jacket (please see below), albeit WITHOUT the Sky Knights or (his) right arm patch.  Our family has been trying for quite some time to find out anything about the right arm patch.  Mustard in color, with some dark circle, is all we can see.  

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance - Jim

M 01 1958 05 1961 09 o018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice patches.  Just my two cents on the unit.  I was also under the impression that this VT-15 patch is for a primary training unit.  I was told that it was one of the several training squadrons that belonged to BTG-1 at Saufley Field in the 50's.  Just like VT's 11, 12, 13, 14, and 16.  Then in 1960 BTG-1 became VT-1 and the squadrons then became flights.  When you look at the jacket, they are also other training command patches, and it kinda makes sense.  I saw one other jacket with the VT-15 patch and it also had the VFT-6 patch on the shoulder.  I will see if I can find the picture.  Anyway, Just so little is really documented on these Navy training units of the 1950's.  Semper Fi! - Jeff