USMC EGA- WW2? Officers or enlisted?

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Hello all! I wanted to get your opinions on this EGA, is it WWII, and if it was officers or enlisted? Ill say how I received this in a little bit.

NOTE: reverse pic is not loading, but it is marked "H-H" in a star on the wing of the eagle. It is a screwball collar EGA. It's a little larger than a standard M37 enlisted EGA.

Thanks!

post-162053-0-63998500-1501898955_thumb.jpg

Its an officer service collar emblem model 1937. Worn for some time after, though not sure how long it saw service. I know I have seen these through Korean War groupings

usmcaviator

I don't use model or patterns like others do.....it get's too confusing as so many EGAs were manufactured without oversight or regulation by the USMC prior to the late 1950's.

This particular device is first seen sold/worn around 1943/1944, and probably last sold leading up to the adoption of the USMC's current insignia (late 1950's-early 1960's). We have seen in photos that early EGAs were being worn into the 1960's-1970's by senior Marine officers who either used them as means to distinguish themselves as "Old Corps" or refused to buy new when old was still doing the job.

It was also used as the basis for multiple pieces of "sweetheart" jewelry in the 1950's-1970's and as means to sell of old stock no longer authorized.

Quality in material, backmarks, and method of attachment generally will determine when in the timeline it was made.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

Hello all! I wanted to get your opinions on this EGA, is it WWII, and if it was officers or enlisted? Ill say how I received this in a little bit.

NOTE: reverse pic is not loading, but it is marked "H-H" in a star on the wing of the eagle. It is a screwball collar EGA. It's a little larger than a standard M37 enlisted EGA.

Thanks!

attachicon.gifIMG_0843.JPG

It is the M37 Officer collar emblem, as you have determined. Sadly the gold wash has been polished off the applied continents, likely by a well meaning son or grandson, making for one unique salty emblem. Highly unlikely you will ever come across a mate. Nonetheless it will make for an interesting conversational piece or for display, and really make for a complete collection of emblems.

usmcaviator

It is the M37 Officer collar emblem, as you have determined. Sadly the gold wash has been polished off the applied continents, likely by a well meaning son or grandson, making for one unique salty emblem. Highly unlikely you will ever come across a mate. Nonetheless it will make for an interesting conversational piece or for display, and really make for a complete collection of emblems.

This looks like a brass service emblem with the worn continents....not gold and silver dress. Lighting can play tricks!

ParanormalTrooper

Thanks for your help, guys!

This looks like a brass service emblem with the worn continents....not gold and silver dress. Lighting can play tricks!

Yeah that's what it is,, my photography wasn't the best!

I was given this by my grandmother who also gave me a photo of some of my family, including two of my Great grea uncles who were marines. I'm not sure which one of these two it belonged to and after talking to her, I believe one of them became an officer after the war. It appears the one on the left received the Purple Heart twice.

PS please ignore the bottom banner, it's an application that I found works great for resizing photos on iPhone and I forgot to crop out the bottom. Oops :P

post-162053-0-98761800-1502393508_thumb.jpg