WW2 USMC BAR belt at last!

MCDUFF

It has taken me about 30 years of searching to finally acquire one of these rare pieces!! Well, it is half actually, as the other half is army US stamped but manufactured also by SF Co in 1941. So looking for the other half now....!!! Happy! :)

post-20528-0-72037100-1501853860.jpgpost-20528-0-57262200-1501853868.jpg

ParanormalTrooper

Incredible! This is the first example I have actually ever seen, thanks for posting and fantastic find!

A comparison of the Army and USMC sides. The photos aren't clear, but the Marine shade does have a slight 'Depot' tan colour. Although both made at S Froelich Co in 1941, the name stamp is completely different.

post-20528-0-05393400-1501859732.jpgpost-20528-0-20778500-1501859750.jpg

Outstanding find, Mac!! These are one of the rarest pieces of 782 Gear out there. Pretty neat that it's dated '41 and has the Froelich "U.S. M.C." Pistol Belt-type stamp!

I have a "BOYT -43-" Belt, but it has a number of rotted places...thank God though- better than nothin'!

post-3226-0-44348000-1501950659_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the USMC stamped M36 suspenders were made specifically for these? Same maker I believe.

Good question. My thought is that they were made for Officers who carried the M1936 Field Bag, but that's just my own speculation.

Here are 2 sets of these, on having been modified at some point- whether at the Froelich company or the Depot, I couldn't say.

post-3226-0-56310500-1501951131_thumb.jpg

Outstanding find, Mac!! These are one of the rarest pieces of 782 Gear out there. Pretty neat that it's dated '41 and has the Froelich "U.S. M.C." Pistol Belt-type stamp!

I have a "BOYT -43-" Belt, but it has a number of rotted places...thank God though- better than nothin'!

I knew you would have one Flage Guy!! :D And a complete one at that!! Thanks for the comparison of the Boyt type. Cool stuff!!

As you said, both Froelichs...I think they were the only contractors for these.

Wow, you have done it again with your treasure trove of a collection! Superb to see these. As yet, I haven't seen a pair in the flesh.

I agree with you that they were probably manufactured to match the officers musette, although a BAR gunner would have probably preferred this type of suspender...

Thanks for the kind words, Mac!
OOPS...I made a big boo-boo on the stamp; Froelich did not have the space between the letters on the stamp later in their production; it was Russell who had this style...one of our friends here alerted me by PM. Yours is the first Froelich product I've seen which features this, making it even more interesting...why they eliminated it...?

Here, some Belts; 2 Froelichs and 1 Russell at the bottom...

post-3226-0-30616400-1501959913_thumb.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry it seems I'm a little later to the party, but for future reference here's my complete unissued USMC BAR belt:

36217033744_e1d42fb0e4_b.jpg

I would agree these are very rare, my came from another now-deceased USMC gear collector who spent many years looking.

Regards,

-Steve

Sorry it seems I'm a little later to the party, but for future reference here's my complete unissued USMC BAR belt:

36217033744_e1d42fb0e4_b.jpg

I would agree these are very rare, my came from another now-deceased USMC gear collector who spent many years looking.

Regards,

-Steve

Hi Steve, that is a fantastic example and it belongs in your amazing collection! Congrats! Graham

Thanks Graham, your collection is also absolute TOP my friend.

Where this mint BAR belt was originally found...I wish I knew!

-Steve

I have a BOYT-42 U.S.M.C. belt. It is marked on the belt extender in big letters,under the BOYT-42 in small letters,and under each pouch flap BOYT 42 with a small U.S.M.C. it is also marked to C. CO. 1st. BTN. I will take some pictures tomorrow.Thanks. Greg.

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic find Graham. Glad you were able to add one to your outstanding collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi FortJohn,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's likely those USMC markings were added to improve the value/deceive collectors.

You can see the stamps were added later, with different ink in the wrong font. The faker also got a little carried away, and added way too many USMC surcharges in strange places.

Regards,

-Steve