Specially Meritorious Service Medal Group

Dave

CONGRATULATIONS! That is one of the best groups I have ever seen. If you sell all of your other medals and keep just that group you will still have a great collection.

Dick

Thanks again, everyone! I truly do appreciate the kind words.

As far as the seller was concerned, he priced the group fairly in his opinion, and was actually surprised it sold as quickly as it did. He deals in militaria and this was not in his area of expertise. He seems to be a really honest and fair seller, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Here are some photos I took of the group last night. They're scaled way down from the originals, but you get the drift... :)

CORINO_SMS_1sm2.jpg

I'm still working on photographing the rim engravings on the medals, but to be honest, I'm neither good at it, nor do I like doing it, so as a result...here goes... :)

CORINO_SMS_4sm2.jpg

CORINO_SMS_5sm2.jpg

CORINO_SMS_6sm2.jpg

I didn't even catch that the WWI victory is rim engraved also...wow...thanks for posting more photos

Yep...and it's pretty cool that it's named to him at Bethlehem Shipbuilding. I've never seen another one named to a shore-based, civilian-run, entity before.

Part of the reason the rim engraving is so hard to photograph is that on several of them, it goes all the way up to the hanging ring on either side! In my opinion, the engraved campaign medals alone are well worthy of their own time in the spotlight.

WOW! WOW! Your photos are great. Again, CONGRATS! Great Navy group to a Great Navy collector. The Chief would be happy to know his medals are in good hands! Bob

homina....homina....homina

Now that is a grouping to envy.

Great score Dave!

And he probobly made good money on it even at that bargain basement price.

Dave,

Congratulations on a wonderfully rare purchase for your collection. The medals are in mint condition to boot!

Gary B

Dave:

A truly exquisite, super-rare, & complete SAW group. Many Sampson groups are missing one or more campaigns,

One question for you. Which campaigns are #1074 and #609??

Warmest congratulations, Tom Nier

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! That is a really nice grouping..I just love the history behind them! Those guys aboard USS Ericsson had some stones. God Bless them. Thanks for showing the medals. Twillie2

• 3 years later...

I am glad that these will live on the the history of one of the greatest buys ever. As the seller I am glad that these are appreciated. And yes at the time I had no clue! Congratulations (sincerely). This is my first post in the USMF. 

-George