Specially Meritorious Service Medal Group

Dave

Well, I can say I never thought I'd be typing the name of this medal in the "Topic Title" space!

This was an eBay find...I believe some of you saw it on eBay after it closed and I just about held my breath the entire time it was in transit to me. To be truthful, had I not photographed the SMS Medal that belonged to another forum member on a whim during this last SOS, I wouldn't have known what a real one looked like! That's why it's always good to educate oneself, even in areas you'll never expect to be interested in!

I'll post up better photos when I take them, as well as his service file when I receive it.

I'm still amazed that I own this...

Thanks for looking!

Dave

8-3-2017 1-19-36 PM.jpg

8-3-2017 1-19-07 PM.jpg

8-3-2017 1-19-50 PM.jpg

8-3-2017 1-20-36 PM.jpg

Dave,

In all the years that I have known you, I have seen you uncover some truly amazing pieces as well as groups. This one is undoubtedly the biggest feather in your collecting cap. OUTSTANDING just doesn't do justice to describing this one!!!

Allan

Dave,

In all the years that I have known you, I have seen you uncover some truly amazing pieces as well as groups. This one is undoubtedly the biggest feather in your collecting cap. OUTSTANDING just doesn't do justice to describing this one!!!

Allan

Thanks! I've had a fantastic mentor for nearly 30 years now... ;)

Guys - thanks for all the kind words! I am truly humbled to be the caretaker of this group.

Interestingly, the USS Ericsson only had a compliment of 22, with only two warrant officers, Corino being one of them (only five officers total). The Sampson medal for the Ericsson also was awarded without a bar, as they only participated at Santiago, where he earned his Medal. For only being involved in one major action, they exhibited amazing bravery. From Wikipedia:

As war with Spain approached, Ericsson patrolled the Florida Keys, intensified her training operations, and carried messages for the increasing number of the fleet present in the area. She continued this duty after the opening of the war, then on 22 April 1898 began a blockade patrol between Havana and Key West. She joined the fleet at Santiago, Cuba 20 June, and during the Battle of Santiago de Cuba on 3 July, was in the thick of the fight, firing on the Spanish fleet. As the defeated Spanish ships blazed and threatened to explode, Ericsson played a leading part in the rescue efforts through which men of the U.S. Navy that day showed their courage, skill, and determination as clearly as they had in the fighting. She laid herself alongside the Spanish cruiser Vizcaya, ignoring the fact that the Spanish ship's ammunition was already exploding, and that flames were firing the loaded guns. Over 100 Spanish officers and men were thus saved, and more were taken off the flagship Maria Teresa and Oquendo, as Ericsson towed small craft from her squadron's larger ships to the burning hulks.

Wharfmaster

His remains reside in Arlington National Cemetery. See Find A Grave.

1 March 1919 Navy Directory indicates:

Ch Mach (Ret.) Fore River S.B. Co Quincy Mass ( Asst Inspr Machy )

Wharf

Dave congratulations and welcome to the club. It is beyond words to see her and part if a spectacular grouping. You are the Midas when it comes to this. I'm thrilled for you, it is serendipitous that this came to you; like a home or pet, groups like this choose their caretaker from the good people that are deserving.

aerialbridge

Probably the best score in terms of not just a fraction of its worth (I'd say 15%) but dollars saved for what's it's worth that I've seen in the last 10 years for a Navy medal on ebay. Black gold.....Texas tea..... BIN Bonanza. "ebay been bery, bery good to you!". To that seller that really hadn't much of a clue..........not so much. :P Helluva dream group, enjoy researching it,

I bet the "Free Shipping" totally sealed the deal for you when you were considering clicking the BIN, Dave!

I have to say this is probably the best score I have ever seen. Amazing.

This is a case where a little bit of knowledge cost the seller a lot of $$$$. Based on his other items, he does deal in military items. He probably sees Sampson Medals going for around $1500. And he figures the others average a couple hundred each. So, $2500 "is a good round number" for a quick sale. Would have been interesting to see how high an auction would have gone.

Brian Dentino

Wow Dave, congratulations on this spectacular grouping! Truly one of the nicest SMS groupings I have ever seen.......doesn't really get much better than than this one. Look forward to seeing more of this great group and hearing more detail once you receive his service file. Congrats again on this grouping!