War bond school banner

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

I very excited to share the latest addition to my collection. This war bond banner was apparently used in the classroom to encourage kids to buy bonds and stamps.

The front features the classic minute man and let's the class know when 90 percent more of the class have bought stamps and bonds. Interestingly on the reverse is a paper sign that tells them when they have fallen below this mark. I would have to assume that this was a monthly or quartetly goal. The banner has a tag from Velva Sheen, a company that was started in 1933 and made sport and leasure wear for the civilian and military market. Velva Sheen is still on business and their tshirts are sought after in the vintage market. Any additions to this post are encouraged.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Great banner and it brings back memories for me. Are you able to date the banner? I'm guessing late 1950's, While going through some boxes I ran across a couple of my incomplete bond stamp books from the late '50's. I had forgotten all about buying bond stamps as a kid with the change my parents gave me until I found the books,

Does anyone know when they stopped selling stamps in schools? I googled it for CA and didn't find much information. Gregg

trenchrat1918

Great banner and it brings back memories for me. Are you able to date the banner? I'm guessing late 1950's, While going through some boxes I ran across a couple of my incomplete bond stamp books from the late '50's. I had forgotten all about buying bond stamps as a kid with the change my parents gave me until I found the books,

Does anyone know when they stopped selling stamps in schools? I googled it for CA and didn't find much information. Gregg

The banner could date anywhere from 1941 to 1946. Before the attack on Pearl Harbor the bonds were called defense bonds, the name was changed after the declaration of war, the war bond program officially ended Jan, 1946. The paper poster on the reverse says war savings so I think the banner dates from the war years, the materials that the banner is made from also point to it being WW2 era.

As to when they stopped selling stamps in schools, I have no idea. I believe they started selling WW2 era stamps late in 1942, I don't know if the stamp program continued after they stopped selling war bonds in 1946 and converted to standard savings bonds. Hopefully someone can chime in and provide some more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Collector5516

I have one in my collection and I believe it dates to 1942-43. Most war bond items using the minuteman image are from this period.

trenchrat1918

I have one in my collection and I believe it dates to 1942-43. Most war bond items using the minuteman image are from this period.

I would have to agree with you that's it's early in the war. Does yours have the added poster on the back? I have another version of the banner that does not have the percentage filled in or the poster on the back. Wes

OMG, they shamed those poor kids! That would never fly in our current: get a trophy for last place environment. ;)

trenchrat1918

That definitely wouldn't fly in today's pc culture.

Collector5516

I would have to agree with you that's it's early in the war. Does yours have the added poster on the back? I have another version of the banner that does not have the percentage filled in or the poster on the back. Wes

Mine is identical to the original one posted.

post-11143-0-67989100-1503101399_thumb.jpg

post-11143-0-73547100-1503101400_thumb.jpg