USMC M1967 gear

Keystone

Finally had some time to put together all of my USMC M1967 gear and take some photos. The butt pack is VERY used but still looks good for display purposes (until I find a better one!!).

Tim

post-192-1225147648.jpg

fantastic set of gear!! were the Marine M67 mag pouches different from the Army's?

Appears these ammo pouches dont have the web holder and strap for the grenade.

RON

I placed the different peices of gear as they appeared in an article from a 1972 dated copy of "Leatherneck" magazine. In the pictures with the article the Marine is not carrying any grenades. I would have to assume they would use the three pocket grenade pouch as they did with the M1961 gear. As for the pouches, I think they are exclusive to the Marine Corps as by the early 1970's the Army had fully adopted the M16 with the 30rd magazines. I've never actually seen any "official" documentation though. The suspenders are specific to the Marines as they have the snaps on the rear straps for the combat pack.

Justin, I wasn't aware the Marines didn't mark the shirt until post war. The shirt is dated 1969 but I guess the USMC was added later!

Tim

Yep, I wasn't aware of that till I found this site!, I have only seen ONE picture of troops in Vietnam with the USMC stamp on there shirts.

Justin

• 4 months later...
vietnammarine

Hello Sir,

Very nice set-up, I am jealous. I just started my USMC M1967 gear collection (so far was able to locate just a pack) and find it very hard to find.

Martin

I placed the different peices of gear as they appeared in an article from a 1972 dated copy of "Leatherneck" magazine. In the pictures with the article the Marine is not carrying any grenades. I would have to assume they would use the three pocket grenade pouch as they did with the M1961 gear. As for the pouches, I think they are exclusive to the Marine Corps as by the early 1970's the Army had fully adopted the M16 with the 30rd magazines. I've never actually seen any "official" documentation though. The suspenders are specific to the Marines as they have the snaps on the rear straps for the combat pack.

Justin, I wasn't aware the Marines didn't mark the shirt until post war. The shirt is dated 1969 but I guess the USMC was added later!

Tim

i have seen a nylon version of the 3 pocket grenade carrier part of this set but i dont recall were... :unsure:

"Hello Sir,

Very nice set-up, I am jealous. I just started my USMC M1967 gear collection (so far was able to locate just a pack) and find it very hard to find.

Martin"

Hello Martin,

I wouldn't get to discouraged. When I started collecting I only had surplus stores and gun shows to go to. With the internet and eBay I've seen more "rare" peices become commonplace. Having said that, the packs are still extemely difficult to find and the suspenders just about impossible. Like most collectors i still think there is some warehouse out there with tons of this stuff just waiting to be discovered.

:rolleyes:

Tim

vietnammarine
"Hello Sir,

Martin"

Hello Martin,

I wouldn't get to discouraged. When I started collecting I only had surplus stores and gun shows to go to. With the internet and eBay I've seen more "rare" peices become commonplace. Having said that, the packs are still extemely difficult to find and the suspenders just about impossible. Like most collectors i still think there is some warehouse out there with tons of this stuff just waiting to be discovered.

:rolleyes:

Tim

Yeah, maybe I should visit a warehouse of Columbian Marine Corps which used(use?) this gear :D .

Thanks for support

Martin

Keystone about grenades. Do you think canvas three pocket grenade pouch or experimental nylon pouch? Id say, if they counted with experimantal?

post-3788-1237189162.jpg

Hello Sir,

Martin

Boudic, tak to ti drzim palce se shanenim :)

Keystone about grenades. Do you think canvas three pocket grenade pouch or experimental nylon pouch? Id say, if they counted with experimantal?

post-3788-1237189162.jpg

Hello Arnie,

I have never seen any official documentation or photos of how the Marines would carry grenades with the new gear. The M1967 equipment was in service for so little time before being replaced by the ALICE equipment that I can only assume they just used the old canvas grenade carrier if the need arose. There were many pieces of experimental gear around at the time and I hesitate to even call the USMC M-1967 gear "issue" items except that they have the DSA contract information and FSN's.

Tim

i have'nt seen that M67 experimental anywere outside this forum & that's not a qood indication of its acctual use-i have seen 70s era marines skiping from the M56 to the ALICE system with nothing in between...the M67 manufactured in logical quantities but aparently never distributed to the troops outside the test ground

Yes, I agree. I think We are talking about testing enviroment.

I only speculated what could have been as solution for grenades when they left cotton ... ?

Yes, I agree. I think We are talking about testing enviroment.

I only speculated what could have been as solution for grenades when they left cotton ... ?

i'm sure i have seen somewere a nylon version of the WWII 3 pocket grenade carrier!!! it's not just my imaination-i just cannot recall were i'v seen that carrier... think.gif i'll search the net again...it was my fault that i did'nt bookmark that pic for future reference... crying.gif

craig_pickrall

The only nylon grenade pouch I am aware of is the M26 and I think that saw limited use.

post-5-1237228136.jpg

post-5-1237228142.jpg