M1860 Naval Cutlass

Hi everyone. I just got my first cutlass and I wanted to share it here. I believe this is an early made cutlass, she is a little beat up but I like the character. I believe this is serial number 611, or possibly 1,611. I really don't know for sure. I know they started to factory serialize these with number 600, so this one is possibly a very early 1861 made cutlass.

Thanks for looking.

post-10825-0-48558500-1501552254_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-91807900-1501552283_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-33402800-1501552308_thumb.jpeg

ludwigh1980

Great piece, always liked the M1860 Navy Cutlass and yours has a nice untouched patina. The numbers marked on the guard I always though were rack numbers and had nothing to do with a production number per say. I'd be interested in what others have to say

Woodymyster

After digging into the contracts with Ames and the Navy, the stamped numbers are actually serial numbers requested by the Navy. Since yours has a M, your serial number would be 1611, not 611.

That's one nice cutlass. I'm also a fan of the ones that look like they've been our there doing their job. I think the only out of the ordinary marking is the "F S T" near the pommel. I don't think I've seen a marking there before.

Thank you for all the comments.

I agree with Woodymyster and will call this one serial number 1611.

The "F S T" stamp on the top of the pommel is still a mystery to me. I would guess it could be someone's initials, or possibly some Naval command.

Chris

Very nice and I like the look.

I got a bunch of these once from a gent who got them off US destroyers at the end of WWII when the ships were being decommissioned.

Very nice and I like the look.

I got a bunch of these once from a gent who got them off US destroyers at the end of WWII when the ships were being decommissioned.

Daggone I wish I had a bunch of these!!

Chris

• 3 months later...