1945 Jungle Canteen Bladder and Carrier

DaddyDog

I read the reference section that 2-quart collapsible canteens were procured for use in the invasion of the Japanese home islands.

What are your thoughts on this one with the adjustable shoulder strap? Manufactured by International Latex Corp. Dover Del. USA 1945.

It seems to compare to one that sold recently at this LINK.

Thanks for comments.

post-6880-0-90998300-1501548474_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-81916800-1501548508_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-21151900-1501548521_thumb.jpg

Quartermaster

The reference section pretty much covers that experimental 2 quart collapsible canteen - it was one item that was included in the 1943 Experimental Combat Outfit. Some items were accepted (the M43 Field Jacket and the M1943 Pack for example) but the collapsible canteen was not accepted as it was deemed "simply beyond the state of the art" and would be placed on hold awaiting better plastic and molding processes.

both-exp-canteens-front.jpg

both-exp-canteens-back.jpg

Both bladders and the carrier with the shoulder strap are marked

MANUFACTURED BY

INTERNATIONAL LATEX CORP

DOVER DEL U.S.A.

I believe that the earlier version of this canteen is the one with the odd belt attachment as it was detailed in the period Quartermaster Corps photos of the entire 1943 Experimental Combat Outfit.

raincoat-soldier-with-exp-c.jpg

soldier-with-exp-canteen.jpg

The carrier with the shoulder strap possibly was an attempt to make the experimental canteen more acceptable considering the umacceptable behavior of the belt attachment.

Here are photos of the QMC close up of the attachment method and of the example in my collection.

close-view-of-exp-canteen.jpg

exp-canteen-back-early-1.jpg

exp-canteen-back-early-2.jpg

I can find no reference that any version of this canteen was accepted to general use so it probably never issued and used in the field - except, possibly, in very limited quantities as controlled, observed tests.