Odd Woodland Boonie Hat, Nam Made? New Zealand

otter42

Need help with this pattern, looks Asian made, and different type of woodland camo, any ideas? Looks like the front was stapled up, can see the rust mark and staple hole.

Thanks Ken

post-4732-0-61871200-1501510509_thumb.jpg

post-4732-0-14179200-1501510548_thumb.jpg

That looks more like British DPM,although an early one,like what was used in the '66 pattern uniform.

You guys beat me to it. I saw that ragged edge on the black segment and said "that's not US, it looks British."

Could this have been used in Vietnam? The reason I ask is I got it with some other camo that was used in Vietnam. Thanks Ken

Hey Otter42!
Not to get too far off from US militaria, but I'd say based on the coloration of the pattern, you've got a New Zealand DPM boonie. Australia can be ruled out as they never adopted DPM, and mainly used US tigerstripes and ERDLs in Vietnam. New Zealand did adopt several DPM patterns, however like Australia, they mostly used American items during the war. That particular pattern was adopted around 1986 - Which still actually makes it interesting (militaria from New Zealand is often hard to find), but sadly out of the context of the era your inquiring.

With the mystery solved, am closing this thread as this is a foreign item and outside the scope of the US Militaria Forum.

Any further discussion is welcome through Private Messaging.