World War 1 VFW Uniform

Vpep

Hello Everyone,

I was at my local flea market this morning when I found this uniform. I don't usually collect Veterans organization items, but this uniform spoke to me. I haven't been able to find out much about it yet, but it is named and dated 1920. It came with the original cap and puttees. The only major flaw other than a few moth nips is the chin strap is missing. I hope you all enjoy the photos and I would love some input about it.

Thanks Vic

post-113193-0-93628300-1501433562.jpg

post-113193-0-38786600-1501433602_thumb.jpg

skypilot6670

Beautiful , don't know much about uniforms and less about Veterans uniforms. But I know what I like and that is cool. Thanks for posting

Thanks for the compliment. I thought it was definitely something you don't come across often, and its completeness really set the hook in me.

A very neat, and complete, uniform Vic. I particularly like the VFW markings in the cap. Is the owner identified by chance?

For a slightly later version of the WWI veteran VFW uniform made in Officer style see this thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/92629-vfw-uniform/?hl=%2Bvfw+%2Buniform

Thanks for the compliment Sarge. Yes it is Identified. I think the name is N P Veymour. I don't know if the VFW keeps membership rosters that go that far back, but if they do I would love to locate info on this individual. I was told buy the seller that this uniform came from a house in Queens that he was able to clean out.

post-113193-0-80055800-1501557504.jpg

Wow ! good thing that uniforms aren't required today, we wouldn't have many members.

Paul

Salome, AZ

Thank you to everyone for the nice replies. I'll post a few more pictures when I get it on a display form and hopefully I can track down the original owner to find out his history.

• 2 months later...
Freedom2collect

Good luck looking for the history! following the thread to see if you are able to share anything you may possibly find! great condition for 1920!

I haven't had much luck with the owner of the uniform, but I did find W.I. Joyce, the second name on the tag, who I assume was the VFW posts issuing officer. Captain Walter I Joyce of the 71st infantry regiment, New York Volunteers served in the Spanish American war and died in 1937.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a really neat and interesting find. I have never seen or heard of any type of uniform issue through the VFW before, let alone one that is so well maintained. Very very nice find!

Could be a VFW parade uniform or maybe Color or Honor Guard uniform. Also, some VFW leaders would wear their service uniform with some VFW items added like buttons, at least for some leadership photos I've seen, so that might be the case here. Great uniform. Let me know if you would consider selling this and for how much. I might be interested in donating to the PA VFW State HQ for its historical display. I work at the State HQ as the Public Affairs Director.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments. I may let it go since it’s not my area of collecting, but I have to do some homework on it. From what I understand, the collar insignia are highly desirable on their own.

If you do sell please pm me as it would be good to keep this within the VFW org. Would be nice to have a price for just the hat and then the whole thing.

As of right now, I think I want to hang on to it, but I will definitely contact you if I decide to sell it. I would like it to remain together as a group.

• 3 weeks later...