General Charles P. Summerall wearing War Department General Staff badge 3 inches version

roadrunner

General Charles P. Summerall was Chief of Staff from November 21, 1926 to November 20, 1930.

There are only a few pictures / paintings showing him wearing the War Department General Staff badge 3 inches version.

post-8324-0-97808500-1501341342_thumb.jpeg

post-8324-0-77020900-1501341380_thumb.jpeg

That badge (and all his medals) used to be on display at The Citadel. Last time I was there, they no longer were. They may have been on loan from the family.

I only have seen pictures of General Summerall and General MacArthur wearing this 3 inches badge made by B.B.&B.

If someone knows other Generals who had worn this type of badge, please post.

I would like to know how many of this old version were made and how many are out there in collections.

Thanks

Michael

Now that was a general who liked his bling!

He certainly did. In fact the # of stars on sleeve of his uniform caused a lot of controversy when a photo of him in that uniform was published. It was thought as Chief of Staff, he added a 5th general star above the row of 4 general stars. However, it was determined that top star was the General Staff Branch insignia (i.e., star with coat of arms on it), not a 5th general star.

@ Salvage Sailor

Thank you for the link. After looking at the video I searched for other videos and found one of General MacArthur wearing the 3 inches version of the War Department General Staff badge.

I posted the link to the video in following topic #6

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231310-general-macarthur-wearing-3-inch-version-of-the-general-staff-badge/

Michael