Silk Map Escape Kits

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

If we have a topic about this already, I couldn't locate it...

Anyway would like to see some detailed pictures of Silk Map Escape kits (Pouches and contents...). Not the maps perse, but mainly pouches, hacksaws, compasses and word lists, etc...

Thanks,

Johan

This came from a pilot who flew airdrops in the CBI theater. He had three compasses: one a pre-war German compass with mirrored back for signaling, a very tiny British compass that could be swallowed, and the tiny two-piece compass that could be sewn on clothing as buttons. Her also carried a silk map, blood chit and a section of camo parachute in his escape kit. These items were all in a trunk when I acquired them but I imagined he'd had some sort of bail-out bag during the war: perhaps his aviator's kit bag.

compassgroup.jpg

compassgroup1.jpg

escapecompasssmall.jpg

escapecompassbutton2.jpg

silkmap.jpg

chit.jpg

parachute.jpg

flightbag.jpg

Here is the two kits that I have in my collection. One is marked Maps only and has three maps, Zones of France A/B & C/D. The second kit is marked with an F (France) and only has the Zones of France map.

post-308-1225634419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1226579876.jpg

Hi Johan, about six years ago I was at the Show of Shows and I purchased a nice condition musette, I plunged my fingers into the small pockets and withdrew my fingers feeling as if I had been stung by a bee.

At the bottom of the pocket was one of these brass button compasses that Forum Support has shown, the one button has a short sharp tack in the centre to balance the second magnetized button, this tack and button were still on the end of my finger.

After the initial sharp surprise I was then pleasantly surprised at this original find, quite a rare item

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1226581562.jpg

post-344-1226581591.jpg

Hi Johan, Bob, Bruce, Jerry, here are a couple more items of escape equipment.

I know the buckle one is British as are some of the other items shown, however a lot of this stuff was used by both nationalities. The buckle was sewn on the short belt of battledress or Ike jackets. It has a small slide section which holds in place the magnetised bar and the fold down tack to balance the bar on.

The second is a small compass sealed in a waterproof cover and worn with a neck cord, this is typical of the size that could be concealed or swallowed without the waterproof cover.

I also have tissue paper maps but not to hand at the moment.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ken.

Sorry for dealy!!!

Very nice items the small compass is very rare , the buckle also! Thanks for sharing!

Here is a section area of AAF silk maps. Every map have a number contected with area section for example: c-40.

Best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1227968195.jpg