KIT-FISHING AN6522-1

warpath

Never saw one still in the can: I've had plenty of the kits though, and it's an interesting array of tackle.

This is that last generation of this type of fishing kit. The Bureau of Aeronautics began phasing it out in 1944 being replaced by a much more streamlined model. This type with tin was only procured by the USAAF with procurements beginning in 1944. It was finally cancelled in 1946 with the USAAF replacing it, but still used well into the 1950's. The earlier procured types did not come with a tin, just simply rolled and tied shut. When crated for shipment, they were wrapped in paper. It was later learned that in storage, rats and parasites were investing them along with deterioration while in service. The remedy was to seal them in a tin. Production reports reveal that these did not really enter service until 1945.

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty cool. An antique store near me has one of these for sale. It's not in the can, it's just rolled up but looks complete.

What is a good price for one of these kits? I think the antique store is asking $50 for it which I thought was high?

-Derek

That's pretty cool. An antique store near me has one of these for sale. It's not in the can, it's just rolled up but looks complete.

What is a good price for one of these kits? I think the antique store is asking $50 for it which I thought was high?

-Derek

Recent ebay sales ranged up to $99.99 for one without the can, and another with the can sold for the same price.

Recent ebay sales ranged up to $99.99 for one without the can, and another with the can sold for the same price.

Thanks Bob. I might have to go back to the shop and buy it now if it's complete :)

-Derek