Identified 10th Mountain Mess Kit

Squeaker

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find ... my father served in a rifle company in the 10th Mtn and I'm the current President of the descendant group. I'll poke around to see if I can find any info for you on Mr. Cusick

Nice find ... my father served in a rifle company in the 10th Mtn and I'm the current President of the descendant group. I'll poke around to see if I can find any info for you on Mr. Cusick

I appreciate it. I may have the oppurtunity to get some info from his son. Apparently this was brought in to the shop by him along with some other antique tools and horse tack.

• 1 month later...

I work with SDC and the 10th Mountain veterans. Warren's ASN is 37205221 and I show he was a T-4 assigned to HQ, Division Artillery and to the Mountain Training Center's artillery unit. He served at Camp Hale, Camp Swift and in combat in Italy. The Bronze Star was awarded for his participation in the Apennines & Po River campaign. I did not find his name in the draft registration records, but I show he was from Geary, OK later in life - maybe that was where he was from originally.

For more detailed info, Contact Denver Public Library- ask for Keli Schmid. She keeps our archives and may be able to tell you more.

• 1 year later...

Finally! I've been trying to get approved on here forever and just noticed it seems to have gone through.

Im Warren Cusick's grandson and am trying to track this mess kit down to purchase for my mother. My email address is [email protected] and phone number is 405-532-4327. Thanks!

To Mr Cusick's Grandson,

I wish you the best of luck in retrieving the mess kit. I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that a member of the family had apparently offered it for sale in the first place. As an aging veteran who is now quite a bit closer to the end of this worldly life than the beginning of life, I hope that my family will appreciate some of the things that I used and brought home from my multiple overseas tours to places which most people would not want to visit. They form part of the family history. While I enjoy purchasing and researching occasional "named" articles for my small collection, I always wonder about the circumstances that caused them to be sold.

Artillero

• 4 months later...

To Mr Cusick's Grandson,

I wish you the best of luck in retrieving the mess kit. I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that a member of the family had apparently offered it for sale in the first place. As an aging veteran who is now quite a bit closer to the end of this worldly life than the beginning of life, I hope that my family will appreciate some of the things that I used and brought home from my multiple overseas tours to places which most people would not want to visit. They form part of the family history. While I enjoy purchasing and researching occasional "named" articles for my small collection, I always wonder about the circumstances that caused them to be sold.

Artillero

There was a lot of convo exchanged via PM. He was upset at the circumstances at first. The elder person involved felt okay with the situation was happy it had made it back to Italy to be cared for.