1912 USMC Officer's Leather Gear

Niederlander

Gentlemen,

I'm looking for anyone that can provide pictures, measurements, etc. of the USMC 1912 Officer's leather pistol belt and equipment. I'm specifically looking for help with the magazine box. Thanks!

The belt you refer to I believe was an army issue item also used by Marine officers. It is a russet leather belt with a single brass buckle with one center tong. I ordered an original one dated 1932 yesterday and it will arrive at end of week. I can provide you measurements then, but believe they are about two inches wide and of course vary in length. It isn't described in Tulkoff's book, but several photos depict Marine officers wearing them from the turn of the century up to WWII. The officers cotton riding breeches had loops for both the cotton web waist belt, and three larger loops over that for the leather pistol belt.

Thought I would provide some pics for anyone interested. I love Banana Wars Marine history. Here is a pair of officers breeches in tan khaki cotton. They are named (stencilled) in Marine fashion inside the waist. As mentioned above, I believe the Marine Officers wore the army issue leather belt with slider for holster along with the leather 1912 magazine pouch for the pistol. This set up is beautifully illustrated in the artist's rendering on the cover of Equipping the Corps, but even better illustrated in the period photograph of Cpt. James C. Breckenridge found on page 202 of the same book. Quite dapper! The belt measures in at 1 3/4 inches and was worn over the khaki web belt. The breeches are interesting in that there is one (I initially remembered three but just one) larger belt loop positioned lower than the ones at the waist in the center back, and I think that was to accomodate the leather belt when worn. The last photo of the pants depicts what I mean. Kevin

post-21606-0-90008300-1501372634_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-68433900-1501372679_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-31489500-1501372686_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-45016400-1501372698_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-83614600-1501372711_thumb.jpg