USN Pilots belt

doyler

This belt is a example I have'nt seen before.I have had this about 5 years.

Standard pistol/utility belt modified with ammo loops and pouches that hold items for survival use.

There is some faint writing visible on one of the pouches but I cant read enough to make it out.

​The holster is a cut down shoulder holster.

post-342-0-73962300-1500960148_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-00091800-1500960171_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-60918600-1500960200_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-02613000-1500960226_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

Nice rig...I can see a young guy wanting to modify/personalize his survival gear based on his needs...how do the pouches open? or are they sealed/sewn shut, like the airborne/AAF kits

The .38 cartridges are tracers, used for signaling when in need of rescue. Nice set up. Any idea of what's in the pouches?

Not just nice, very, very nice!

Al

Nice rig...I can see a young guy wanting to modify/personalize his survival gear based on his needs...how do the pouches open? or are they sealed/sewn shut, like the airborne/AAF kits

Thanks

The pouches are individually made and sewn shut and never opened.All are full.You can feel and see outlines of items.Also there is faint blue ink on the back of one like a packing(?) list.Just to worn to read it

The .38 cartridges are tracers, used for signaling when in need of rescue. Nice set up. Any idea of what's in the pouches?

Not just nice, very, very nice!

Al

No idea whats in pouches.

Noticed the tracers too.I haven't ever removed the ammo as the loops are molded to most of them it appears

Holy cow Ron that is super neat. Great discipline to not open those pouches.

Thanks Ronny

will post some other pictures of the pouches

Took a few pictures today and shifting the pouches I could see writin on the backs of a couple I hadnt seen before.

​The pouches are actually sewn to each other.Two sets of two.I was able to slide them on the belt and get a better look overall.

post-342-0-84223000-1501124617_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-63534500-1501124650_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-95486000-1501124679_thumb.jpg

That pilot better make damn sure he did not lose his pocket knife if he bailed out. Are there a couple corners on the pouches where it looks like there is a red foil / paper sticking out?

Survival post number 11 shows something red on the larger pouch.

Have you seen this type of survival gear before?

Ronnie

That pilot better make damn sure he did not lose his pocket knife if he bailed out. Are there a couple corners on the pouches where it looks like there is a red foil / paper sticking out?

Im thinking some type of thread or maybe a signal panel?

It is typical US NAVY WW2 rigger made item for survival equipment. One of the best I have ever seen!

Regards,

Jerry

I'm thinking they may have took the individual paper pouches that enclosed the contents in a USN M592 survival kit and sewed them up in a canvas case. You can possibly see them peeking out of the corners in a couple places

First of all, you have to understand and take in multiple factors when evaluating something like this. I see the M-592 kit had been mentioned, you have to understand that this kit was not introduced until the close of 1943 and not into any wide circulation until well into 1944. However, there are predecessors to the M-592 but only available in limited supply. There are many flying units that never got these back pad kits. The other aspect to understand was that there was an inherent dislike of the back pad kit with many localized fabricated "survival" kits manufactured, this being such an example. Reported cases of components from the back kit to a more streamlined unit do exist, but bulk was the principle issue. The majority of these localized assembled kits were an accumulation of locally procured and obtainable items which I'm sure is the case for this example. It having signs of being used with a .38 dates it past the spring of 1943, more probable towards, at minimum, the later half of 1943. Seeing this kit in real life has a WOW factor but there is plentiful photographic and textual evidence of their existence. These personalized emergency kits would contain, at minimum, a standard compliment of first aid items, fishing tackle, possible some form of ration, compass, matches, mosquito headnet, essentially basic necessary items for tropical survival. As the war progressed, these personalized kits contained more signaling equipment than just the mirror, often they wouldalso contain trinkets for bartering with the local indigenous peoples. Typically these kits have an easier access, snap closures or zippers, it is a little more unusual that this example is sewn shut. Being sewn has certainly led to its preservation for 70 plus years making this a real time capsule.

The pink could be thread, possibly worn and tore off over time with the original intention of being a quick pull to open the packet. The bright color makes it easier to spot when it needed to be accessed. If indeed it is the pink seen on waterproof foil lined paper, it is possible the cotton pouches were lined with it prior to assembly. Yes, many items used in the back pad kits utilized this type of wrapper, but was used for many other applications being a typical standard packaging for ordnance and electronic equipment. This means it would be fairly accessible to aviation activities.

• 3 weeks later...