WWII 37mm M3 Anti Tank Gun

warpath

WWII 37mm M3 Anti Tank Gun with original paint and unit markings left as found that appears to have been stored and unmolested...A very nice nearly complete gun lacking its breech ring mechanism and a few minor parts.

post-3653-0-74600600-1500934366_thumb.jpg

post-3653-0-66341300-1500934421_thumb.jpg

So what's the story? Is it yours?

This is one of several artillery pieces in an old military museum collection of Civil War artillery, WWII vehicles and WWII weapons I obtained recently.

NIce, should have brought that civil war cannon up to the shoot at Grayling this weekend. Had a great time, I think there were about 32 tubes firing to include an original whitworth.

Is this an M3 in this photo? My Dad was in an anti-tank company and took this pic during the battle of Okinawa. He sometimes mentioned 37mm guns, so I assumed this was one. But the shield looks different from yours. I think he was on a 37mm gun crew earlier in the war, but was a BAR man during Okinawa. Thanks for showing us yours.

Mikie

post-2687-0-25453600-1501043348_thumb.jpg

Mikie,

That looks like a similar gun, but it may just be a later variant or larger size since the barrel looks different with less taper. The lower shield is either in the up position or not there, it's hard to tell.

Ed

Brian Keith

That is sooo Cool! Our local guard unit, an Anti-Tank Company, went to war with those (WW II). By the time I joined the local unit, it was just a regular infantry company.

BKW

Is this an M3 in this photo? My Dad was in an anti-tank company and took this pic during the battle of Okinawa. He sometimes mentioned 37mm guns, so I assumed this was one. But the shield looks different from yours. I think he was on a 37mm gun crew earlier in the war, but was a BAR man during Okinawa. Thanks for showing us yours.

Mikie

Its a 57mm M1 A/T gun

Thanks everyone for the ID of the gun as a 57mm A1, not an M3. Either one would make one heck of a lawn ornament!

Mikie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

excellent find and acquisition...the original paint and patina is a rarity in cannons found...is that a range pole on the left rail or a lifting bar?...