fatigues 101st soldier killed in Vietnam

Bob Hudson

This young Californian had been in Vietnam less than two months when he was killed in action while swerving with Company A, 2d Battalion (Airmobile), 501st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), at Fire Support Base GRANITE on April 29, 1970. He had just turned 19 and had been in South Vietnam 56 days. The documents and photo were found online.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpeg

Nineteen to twenty was the average age. Most of us were that age when we either got drafted, or joined. You registered on your eighteenth, and if you weren't in school, or had bone spurs like someone, you got the letter. Greeting from the president! Time for your physical, and off you went.

Nineteen to twenty was the average age. Most of us were that age when we either got drafted, or joined. You registered on your eighteenth, and if you weren't in school, or had bone spurs like someone, you got the letter. Greeting from the president! Time for your physical, and off you went.

19 was on the young side even for Vietnam. The average age of Army Infantrymen (MOS 11B) serving in Vietnam was 22 and the average age of those killed in action was slightly above that.

What would have been on that other nametape that's above his name?

I don't know - but one of our members surely does.

Very somber uniform to a young hero. Thanks for sharing his memory with us.

His younger brother was pleased to share these with the collecting community through the forum in order to preserve this legacy. They have the medals and decorations but he wanted good homes for the utility uniforms, which are not something you often find in a family's possession so many years later. I have handled some interesting uniforms that evoked responses of "Cool uniform!," but I've never had one that moved me as much as these simple fatigues.