dhcoleterracina

War Room, Relic Heavy, it's a sickness

Regarding the flag....a couple years ago my brother called me up and asked if I wanted a dirty, old, ripped up flag. He wanted to ask before he tossed it into the trash. His wife's father had been assigned to a light aircraft carrier (I think the USS Bataan) and was a JG officer. This was a daily flown flag which lasts about three weeks at sea. After use they were given away as awards or perhaps just because someone asked for one. The flag flew down wind to the stack(s) and that's why it's so dark. It meant enough to the vet to have kept it all these years. I was only too glad to give it a home and it's one of my favorite pieces.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

That is a great collection. The display is very neat and clean. Organized well. Great job.

Ronnie

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Very nice display room, well done!! I noticed the USMC green blouse you have. It appears to have a WWII Army Officer dress buckle on the belt. Very unusual, and I only bring this up because I knew a Marine vet who still had his blouse with the same buckle on the cloth belt, and he lived in SoCal, (Cherry Valley, near Baumont) as do you. He was also the same rank as your blouse. He died about 3 years ago. When did you get this blouse? I think most of his belongings were sold off after he died. Does your blouse show traces of a removed 2d Division patch? His originally had one, but he removed it to put it on some blues he bought. Check it out. If it is so, then I can tell you quite a bit about this man.

Steve

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Steve, I had a USMC leather belt on this but it didn't fit well, made him look pregnant. I saw that belt and thought it was a USMC cloth belt. The color was almost exact. The belt didn't come with this jacket. There is an Aussie made First Division patch on the shoulder.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Regarding the flag....a couple years ago my brother called me up and asked if I wanted a dirty, old, ripped up flag. He wanted to ask before he tossed it into the trash. His wife's father had been assigned to a light aircraft carrier (I think the USS Bataan) and was a JG officer. This was a daily flown flag which lasts about three weeks at sea. After use they were given away as awards or perhaps just because someone asked for one. The flag flew down wind to the stack(s) and that's why it's so dark. It meant enough to the vet to have kept it all these years. I was only too glad to give it a home and it's one of my favorite pieces.

That is wonderful that you were able to give the flag another life. In my opinion, there isn't anything more patriotic in a collection that men and women saluted daily and fought under. Battle seen U.S. Flags, I believe are extremely rare when you measure it against all of the other artifacts that we collect. Many thanks for saving the flag and passing along it's story. Gregg

Great stuff and presented with class

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I love it!!!! Beautifully and tastefully displayed. Great job!

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi

I really enjoyed seeing your display! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm a long time Civil War relic hunter so have lots of "crusty" stuff but never had the luck of digging any complete weapons. Dug some broken sword blades, musket parts and a Springfield lock plate once. Of course lots of bullets, buttons and a few buckles.

Paul

Probably the nicest displayed relic collection I’ve ever seen.  Absolutely outstanding- Thanks for sharing it!  
Did that cocked and locked 1911 make it back from the South Pacific crash site incognito?  Seems everyone from the carrier to customs wouldn’t approve of it being loaded in any condition...

Excellent collection and display Dexter. Vern