Plumb m1917 c.t. bolo

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

Hello, I picked up this m1917 bolo today for what I feel was a decent price, but I have a couple of questions about it.

I read that the C.T. stands for commercial type. Is this still a military issued knife?

Is there any concern with these knives being faked? The person who I bought it from said that the old man who sold it to him said that it was his grandfathers, so I feel good about its originality, but a second opinion is always good.

The knife came with a 1945 dated usmc corpmens bolo scabbard. Were these knives issued into ww2, or was this done when they were surplused off?

Thanks

post-146822-15008490776008.jpg

post-146822-15008490843229.jpg

post-146822-15008490910756.jpg

post-146822-15008491002981.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

As far as I know these bolos were only made during WWI, and there were some available surpluses during WWII. They were originally issued to engineers for clearing brush, but they were also used as fighting knives and as your example suggests, a corpsman's bolo. Can't say it was common to see these being used during WWII, but it certainly happened. Yours looks right as rain to me. I have one almost exactly like yours, but with its original sheath.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/257988-us-model-1917-ct-plumb-bolo-knife/

Looks all original to me. The CT stood for commercial tolerances, but it is a military piece. It's basically a streamlined version of the earlier M1910 bolo produced by Springfield Armory. I don't believe any were produced for military use after WW1 but many WW1 items were obtained and used by Soldiers and Marines during WW2. Now you need to find a scabbard for it.

thecandyman0838

As far as I know these bolos were only made during WWI, and there were some available surpluses during WWII. They were originally issued to engineers for clearing brush, but they were also used as fighting knives and as your example suggests, a corpsman's bolo. Can't say it was common to see these being used during WWII, but it certainly happened. Yours looks right as rain to me. I have one almost exactly like yours, but with its original sheath.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/257988-us-model-1917-ct-plumb-bolo-knife/

Thank you for the information

thecandyman0838

Looks all original to me. The CT stood for commercial tolerances, but it is a military piece. It's basically a streamlined version of the earlier M1909 bolo produced by Springfield Armory. I don't believe any were produced for military use after WW1 but many WW1 items were obtained and used by Soldiers and Marines during WW2. Now you need to find a scabbard for it.

How much would I be looking to spend on a proper canvas scabbard?

I really have no idea about the current price of loose scabbards. Check ebay from time to time. Might be your best bet.

If I remember correctly, CT stood for continuous tang; the pommel and tang were one piece. Without the CT the bolo had a separate pommel attached to the tang.

If I remember correctly, CT stood for continuous tang; the pommel and tang were one piece. Without the CT the bolo had a separate pommel attached to the tang.

I've seen several different sources as to what the CT means but they were all for military use.

thecandyman0838

After doing more research I've read about the "crack" from how they would braise/weld the guard together, however on my knife I can not find a crack or gap. Is this even anything to be worried about?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You've got an original M1917 Bolo, Like Thorin6 states, "CT", is for commercial tolerances. For whatever it's worth you will be very hard pressed to to see the weld in the guard, but that's how they were made. I have one that once I found out how they place the guard on I could see the weld, -slightly. Also check out "Atlanta Cutlery", they are selling M1917 Repros , with scabbards, plus they are making M1909 bolos, M1917 Trench Knives, etc. Check out their web page, when you get to "Eras", and click 20th Century wars". Then click "view all items"for that section., These are very good reproductions, we now have something else to worry about as collectors. SKIP

Bruce Canfieldin his great book on "US Infantry Weapons of WW!", states it as "Commercial Tolerences". The tangs weren't cut, it would have weakened the handle, it was the guard that was cut, to fit it on, then welded the cut. SKIP

Frank Trzaska

It is Commercial Tolerances as skip states. Ordnance Department wanted everyone to know this was not made to tolerances but in the need for production speed they relented and allowed them to pass inspection as the CT revision to the tighter tolerance M1910 or M1917 design. I found the document stating it and shared it with Bruce many years ago.

All the best

Frank Trzaska