Metal found in box of metals at Estate Sale (2014)

Austringer

I bought all the military items from an estate back in late 2014 and finally have been going through a few boxes of metals the guy had and found this in a clear plastic container with the address of the Marine Corps Air and Ground Museum on a note pad page. The metal and the ribbon were in the box together but looks like it's missing a few items. Please advise as I'm curious why the address of the USMC museum was in the box. Thanks for your help

post-3718-0-10852500-1500847969.jpg

Can you have repo MOHs? Can you sell repo MOHs? Also, what is supposed to be on the back of the metal?

I would think it is an original as it is illegal to repro the MOH, even though the Chinese have been doing so regardless. An interesting find and one that puts you in a ticklish situation.

-Ski

The guy knew he couldn't keep it, so he was probably going to send it to the museum. Who knows why he chose that museum, but it is what it is. Personally, if it were me, I'd avoid the headache that can possibly come from owning it and get rid of it at the first opportunity (not selling it, but donating it to a museum or the CMOHS) and then taking the tax write off on it.

It's difficult to determine the authenticity of this piece. The photo of the obverse is not clear enough to know if it is genuine. A really good close-up would help. It would also help to have a good photo of the reverse. The "ribbon" appears to be of the papery-variety that was used on some collector's strikes about 20-30 years ago. Since all the suspension pieces are missing from the photograph one would not know if its an army or navy piece. As others have noted, it is pure speculation as to why a USMC museum address would be included with these items.