WWII Ammo Box/Crate Hardware - Marshall's Arsenal

marshallsarsenal

marshallsarsenal

Looking to restore that WWII ammo box and the hardware is missing, bent or rusted beyond use? Or maybe you want to build your own military box, well Marshall's Arsenal has this hard-to-find hardware. It is NEW and the real deal!

Manufactured according to military specification designated Mil-B-2427G (AR), it will give your boxes all it needs to be correct.

Hasp - Part 8796523 and

Clasp Swivel - Part 8796520

Hinge - Part 8796524

Correct Slotted brass screws in packs of 25 also available.

Check them all out at www.marshallsarsenal.com

post-158500-0-72119200-1500784095_thumb.jpg

Dirt Detective

Hi Marshall,

I believe these are post WWII hinges...I believe WWII boxes will have 4 or 5 screws holding them to the box...I will try and post some pics later.

Rgds, Mike

post-2677-0-74901600-1500831685.jpg

post-2677-0-40792100-1500831691.jpg

post-2677-0-94982800-1500831695.jpg

marshallsarsenal

Mike,

Thanks for the great samples of your hinges and hardware that you described.

I have never seen this hardware and use of Phillips head screws among all the original US WWII ammo boxes and crates I have or have seen but am always willing to be corrected and educated in the history and details of this stuff. I would love to hear from others more educated in this matter on the subject.

I am not sure the exact time or transition of this type of hardware I have was adopted by the military or when Phillips head screws were first used but always thought a US WWII crate would have slotted screws vs Phillips head screws. This would be the tell tail sign (among other things) to identify an original.

Thanks again for the info and pictures.

Marshall

Dirt Detective

Marshall,

Here is a thread about a WWII Grenade box that has these screws in them. Interesting info I learned about that screw.

Post # 28 "Ahhhh.....the Philips Screw discussion. :D What you you have there Dirt Detective is not a Philips Screw head. Let me explain: while true, the development of the Phillips style screw head was made prior to WWII, wide spread use was not integrated into military production until after WWII. The Frearson screw drive, also known as the Reed and Prince screw, is similar to a Phillips, but the Frearson has a more pointed 75° V shape. Most mis-identify the "X" screw head in 1940s military items as a Phillips, but it is actually a Reed and Prince....and 100% correct."

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/204150-wwii-mkii-frag-crate-with-canisters/

marshallsarsenal

Mike,

This is so cool to learn. Thanks for posting. I will definitely keep looking for this type of hardware and screw. Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge.

Marshall

Dirt Detective

I have seen boxes as early as 1953 with the 3 screw hinge..maybe questmaster would know when the change was. All my TM's with WWII dates show the 4 or 5 screw hinge.

post-2677-0-80549200-1500844078.jpg

post-2677-0-80006300-1500844085.jpg

post-2677-0-15429400-1500844093.jpg

No doubt Mike is right about the three screw hardware as being post World War II - and likely post Korean-war as well. The Reed and Prince screw heads are pretty cool - and probably collectible in and of themselves! (for those fastener fans out there!).

Rob

marshallsarsenal

All,

This is all good stuff to learn. I wish I could find the WWII hardware as this hardware was hard enough to find. I will just have to label my hardware Military Hardware.

Marshall

• 4 months later...
Dirt Detective

All,

This is all good stuff to learn. I wish I could find the WWII hardware as this hardware was hard enough to find. I will just have to label my hardware Military Hardware.

Marshall

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Military-Ammo-Crate-Box-Hardware-Set/282706521833?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

" WWII US Military Ammo Crate/Box Hardware Set "

post-2677-0-91626600-1512776313_thumb.jpg

Somebody not knowing might think these would be good for a WWII repo box they might be making?? Not cool