Hand-forged crude sword, Thoughts?

I recently acquired this interesting sword and I don't know exactly what I have. I initially posted this one in the knife section of the forum, but I wanted to share it here also.

It has an unmarked bayonet handle except for a serial number. Instead of the bayonet blade, this one has a crudely made forged blade with a fuller running almost the full length. This crude blade is surprisingly sharp and has numerous dings throughout the blade.

My question is; Could this type of modification of a bayonet possibly be from the Civil War or done much later? Were these things done in the Civil War?

This blade is very strong and very tight, with a very sharp and crisp blade. The shape of the blade is cattywhompus but would definitely kill and destroy.

Thank you for looking.

post-10825-0-19190900-1500748764_thumb.jpeg

looks like a blacksmith did some work on it after it was made?? CSA?

Definitely looks like some blacksmith work to me. As far as the CSA, I think it is a real possibility. I hope someone can share a similar type of sword, or relate some additional information.

Chris

RustyCanteen

Looks like it used to be a Merrill bayonet.

I cannot see any practical reason for the blade being in the configuration it is now. Francis Bannerman apparently sold some of these surplus, so it wouldn't be inconceivable that it was modified at some later date.

Thanks RC,

This bayo handle is very close in appearance to the Merril bayonet handle. The slot in the top of this bayonet handle is different than the slot used on the Merril rifles. It has been brought to my attention that this type of slot was used for a Sharps rifle.

I agree that it could have been done anytime after the War. I also agree there would be no practical use today for this ugly little sword, but with it's current configuration, it makes a good short sword that is utilitarian and easily handled. For an individual wartime soldier, this could have been very practical. Just my thoughts.

Chris