A Few 1911 Questions

Okie96

Hello, so i,ve started reading up on the classic 1911/A1, have not gotten one...yet, but there were a couple of questions I had. What do you look for, online and in hand, to figure out if the gun has been refinished, G.I. or otherwise. Does a domed pin at the rear base of the grips, for the main spring housing yes?, mean that housing is original? And finally I have been reading Meadows Vol. 2 but do not have Vol. 1. I've noticed that there is the yellow cover vol.1 and the blue cover. As far as I can tell, google and amazon are not giving a definate answer, the blue cover has the same content as the yellow but was just a special run signed by the author, correct? Anything else obvious to look for when buying, non-G.I. grips?

Thanks in advance.

Search the archives of this forum sub section for Govt. 1911A1 articles. I am sure there is a lot to read from the many 1911 contributors who write on this board, it is good reading.

Good luck.

Chuck

everforward

Meadows's first book is the one with the yellow dust cover, it covers the automatic pistols the US used from 1901-1920.

The second book covers post WW1 up to 1945. They are both very good reads.

Charles Clawson's original book (the big book) is also a fantastic work, but they sell for hundreds of dollars these days.

If you're looking for a WW2 1911A1, I'd buy the 2nd (blue) book by Meadows....it should tell you nearly everything you'd want to know.

To clarify, Clawson published two books specific to GI 1911s. The "big book", as everybody calls it, and the smaller collector's guide. The big books sell for anywhere between $800-$1200, depending on condition, dust jacket, autograph, etc. The collector's guide sells for $150-$200, and is the ideal reference for collectors / buyers, IMO. I am getting ready to post a "big book" in the FS section, hopefully this weekend, and have a collector's guide I'd likely sell as well.

In summary, there is no real way to give guidance on points of originality on GI 1911s, as they differ by manufacturer, date range, serial number, and so forth. And, the differences are subtle. One example is whether stampings were applied before or after finish, which there are a lot of differences in.

Best of luck.

Meadows's first book is the one with the yellow dust cover, it covers the automatic pistols the US used from 1901-1920.

The second book covers post WW1 up to 1945. They are both very good reads.

Charles Clawson's original book (the big book) is also a fantastic work, but they sell for hundreds of dollars these days.

If you're looking for a WW2 1911A1, I'd buy the 2nd (blue) book by Meadows....it should tell you nearly everything you'd want to know.

I have most, if not all, the 1911 books with the exception of the "Big Book" by Clawson. If you want an inexpensive alternative, get "The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols" by Joe Poyer and edited by Craig Riesch. It covers the subject well, with much of the detail in the Meadows' books and Clawson's books somewhat avoided. Good place to start.

I have most, if not all, the 1911 books with the exception of the "Big Book" by Clawson. If you want an inexpensive alternative, get "The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols" by Joe Poyer and edited by Craig Riesch. It covers the subject well, with much of the detail in the Meadows' books and Clawson's books somewhat avoided. Good place to start.

Agree.... I have found Poyer's book most useful with my M1911-M1911A1 collection. It's a very good place to start.

Thanks for the replys. I have been doing some looking at some of the threads. I have Clawsons collectors guide and Meadows second book but again I was wondering if anyone knows for certain about the difference between the two versions of Meadows first book and if I was correct in my assuption by it. I read in one spot that Meadows three books together are as good as clawsons big book? Thanks again.

To try to answer your question on Meadows' books, I have two copies of his second book, one being a copy of the printer's proof (I think that's the term) which was printed and reviewed by a good number of people before it went final. The pictures are somewhat darker, and of course, it has some typos. When Meadows sold his second book if you were fast you could also get a copy of the printer's proof, which I did. I don't know if he did the same for the first book, but it would stand to reason that one of the books could be the early printer's proof, and the second would be the final copy for sale.

I suppose that would make sense. So far as I can tell the fisrt book with the yellow cover is more common and the special editions, or whatever they are, are signed by him. Just want to make sure I get all the info from it I can whenever I get it. I know books on things like collectibles can be revised and updated through multiple printings. Reading his vol. 2 has been good though I wish some of his photos of markings were either close ups or color or both. Some are taken from much farther away then necessary to show the marking and I can't see the markings well enough to fully read them or make out details. Some showing markings on parts from different makers I'm not sure I can see the markings and I know from some other photos that he was able to take detailed close ups for the book. Don't get me wrong though, it is still an excellent book to have for this pistol.

everforward

I suppose that would make sense. So far as I can tell the fisrt book with the yellow cover is more common and the special editions, or whatever they are, are signed by him. Just want to make sure I get all the info from it I can whenever I get it. I know books on things like collectibles can be revised and updated through multiple printings. Reading his vol. 2 has been good though I wish some of his photos of markings were either close ups or color or both. Some are taken from much farther away then necessary to show the marking and I can't see the markings well enough to fully read them or make out details. Some showing markings on parts from different makers I'm not sure I can see the markings and I know from some other photos that he was able to take detailed close ups for the book. Don't get me wrong though, it is still an excellent book to have for this pistol.

Okie, just remember that the Meadows Book with the yellow dust jacket contains only pistols from the WW1 era, nothing past 1920.