Vietnam Pathfinder Liner?

The decal is that of the 187th Infantry "Rakkasans"

WANTED

American Red Cross items from the Vietnam War Era.

Signal Operating Instructions (SOI) and Standing Signal Instructions (SSI) books from 1960-1973.

187th definitely

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Ok, thanks. I always thought the half wing meant pathfinders. Was it common to decal helmets then?

This is a post 1965 late 60s-70s liner, it was common enough in the 50s though the 60s to apply unit decals, but this was applied to the sides, Division/Corps/ Army with Battalion on the other side or the other, if anything with this decal, which is the shoulder patch of the 187th Regimental Combat Team, a unit not active after a certain point in the 50s, than it was unofficially applied by a guy in the only unit of the 187th active after 1965, the 3rd Battalion 187th Infantry, or it was applied by a non Army person or entity who got their hands on old decals for the hell of it, and that I'm sorry to say is common enough too.

Ok, thanks. I always thought the half wing meant pathfinders. Was it common to decal helmets then?

You're not entirely wrong on the half wing marking, it's just very different from the 187th marking....here's the pathfinder wing patch and painted on a helmet

post-9167-0-93936400-1500700661.jpg

post-9167-0-53045000-1500700671.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items

Think that's an 11th airborne insignia? I've seen it before but not sure, I think one of our forum airborne guys will know (jkash or sgtdorango will know)

Pat

That unit was part of the 11th abn during ww2 , so burning hazard was right. But the 11th was deactivated in the late 50's, early 60's

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I knew I wasn't crazy. I see the difference now. I don't know how you guys remember all this stuff. By the way, I love the helmet. Is that for Korea? Is that paint or decals?

I'm not sure about the marking on this helmet, it kinda looks like a decal though....I found the image on the internet, but I think it was a helmet posted on the USMF at some point

Rick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items