RIA Bayonet

hawkdriver

I went to the gun show this weekend and while walking past a table, I ran into this bayonet. I picked it up and pulled it out of the scabbard and saw the RIA, turned it over and saw the US. I asked the guy at the table what he wanted for it, he shot back $50. I pulled out $60, but he didn't have change, so he said that I could leave it and as soon as he could make change, I could come back and pick it up. I said the price was good and took off like a shot before he changed his mind.

Now to the question. The bayonet has a shiny green "blueing" finish to it. I'm thinking it has been refinished. I am sure the knife is worth more than what I paid for it, but by how much?

2chl2js.jpg

Here is a full length look at it

2s7ck5c.jpg

Left side

2uy52dk.jpg

Right side

2rg0qo3.jpg

The release button. Here you can really see the green hue.

Sorry to say this is a modern reproduction, not sure of which company's version it is but may be Sportsman's Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=322977

There are others as several companies now supply these bayonets. I think the AEF Supply version has smooth grips, not sure about What Price Glory as I haven't handled any of theirs. I don't pay too much attention to these repros but have seen a few at the shows. Retail runs about $70 or so.

Originals of this date were not factory blued, they were issued bright. During WWI, because the blades' shininess revealed the position of so-equipped units, many/most were BLUED.

Still-A-Marine

For pricing bayonets I would suggest U.S. Military Knives, Bayonets & Machetes Price Guide - Fifth Edition. It's only $11.95 including shipping. I have found it to be a good way to keep myself from getting carried away when pricing edge weapons.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/price_guide.htm

Here are a couple of snap shots of mine. I bought it last May at a cost of $214.50. Bill

post-4347-1225122408.jpg

post-4347-1225122425.jpg

post-4347-1225122439.jpg

post-4347-1225122455.jpg

Atlanta Cutlery is only about 15 minutes from my house, saw some of the same repos there, I think they were 69.00 with a repo scabbard.

Would be ok to display on a rifle until you found a real one.

No BOLO, he didn't tell me, but buyer beware, I was in a hurry to get rolling, so I didn't pay attention and was unaware that there were knock-offs being produced, so it ultimatel is my fault. I did go to Wal-mart today and got a bluing kit and stipped the hideous green finish off and worked it down, blued it, and it is sitting in the sink curing right now. If it turns out OK, I will post a pic. May be salvageable yet.

they are making all kinds of "knock offs" these days

usa, british, japanese, german, etc

but they are easy to spot when you see them up close and handle them

Well, with nothing to loose, I got my Birchwood Casey blueing kit out and stripped that nasty green finish off the bayonet and blued it last night. Here is the final product. I seem to be the collector of wayward bayonets. The top bayonet is a 16" that was chrome plated for a drill bayonet. It had a hand made wood scabbard with a pure silver throat and wood grips when I got it. I've kept it in the chromed condition, but have toyed with stripping it back to bare steel. The bottom bayonet is there to help set a reference for the blueing.

2mry243.jpg

50 bucks? Doesn't seem out of line for a repro. I've dropped three times what you paid for that repro on a legit one

Nobody has mentioned it, I think everyone forgot-

It's a reproduction Model of 1905 bayonet, Sportsmans Guide inexplicably lists M 1903, perhaps thinking it needs to match the designation for the model of 1903 rifle. I think there was also a 1903 SMLE bayonet too- bayonetman has forgotten more about this stuff than I ever knew