Hemmingson Wing

spike427

Spike, thank you for sharing your wing with us. I suspect the later block-style engraving on the reverse might be the Pilot's last name, rather than a manufacturer's name... And the number, possibly an Aero Club of America membership identifier... or later "99's" roster number applied to an earlier wing? I think it's safe to say the name and number were likely engraved well after WWI.

Because this style wing has been replicated over the years, those "red-flags" Patrick mentioned really need to be addressed with a close loupe inspection...

I tested the US on wing and they are 14k gold.I got some other Lt. Col. insignia from lady that was made by Green in the lot and said she had some other clothing of his so I'll wait and see.The edges of wing are feathered and back has rough edges so certainly die cast.The pin was strange but have other wings that are the same and have seen others done in that way per asking maybe jeweler made but signs show something different,The makers mark are good as I see but if someone faked that wing they went to alot of trouble to do so.This wing don't look like those auction wings as tone is alot different but have to say after 55 years of messing with this stuff nothing surprises me!

Lettering looks stamped under loop and not engraved as it's all same size etc.My camera not very good for close up stuff but if auction wing has same stuff on it in that photo is the opinion it's bad?I started the tread with asking about the name so now that two photo's have been produced is it the opinion they both are bad as that's how I'm understanding it?

I believe it was a fairly common practice for jewelers to remove the pin and catch before inscribing and personalizing an after-market wing. Maybe the jeweler who worked your badge simply found it easier to apply a newer set of findings, than mess with reapplying the original period findings. That may also explain why the pin and catch are reversed?

It might be stamped? If so, then the jeweler likely struck each letter individually. Look at the letter "E." See how it sits higher than the adjacent letters... I think all the letters would be uniform, like with the "STERLING" mark, if a "HEMMINGSON" stamp was used.

Just one laymen's opinion...

Duncan had an example of this wing that showed marked differences from the one presented above:

post-594-0-57075800-1500682986_thumb.jpg

Source: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17104/lot/3639/?category=list

The wing from the Campbell collection was attributed to Lt James C. Whitelaw.

I immediately note several differences;

- The shield appears to be slightly vaulted and presents a generally finer appearance

- The feathers and stars appear to have additional hand-chasing or carving

- The pin appears to have a cam-stop

- The U.S. has periods

On a separate note, it may be problematic that the badge in the original post was previously sold at auction. That calls into question the origin story as presented. Spike, you might want to seek clarification from the seller with respect to the attribution.

Chris

Yes if this wing is in fact the same one in that listing at some auction then it's well traveled but I do see differences in the pics.High lights etc. are different and I have no way of knowing when that auction was or where those came from.This was suppose to have come from family but without some more facts on pilot if in fact that is a name on the wing which don't jive with card it was on then one would have to say it could be a maker.The pics above appear to me to be jeweler made and not die struck bit can't see back...Lots of possibilities

Looking at my archive, the wing that the Wing King has (and it may very well have been from the Campbell's collection) is rather vaulted.

The Bonham's auction where your wing appeared to have been sold was about 3 years ago. Duncan's collection was in 2009. Here was a pretty rambunctious thread about that auction at the time (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41277-campbell-collection-catalog-online/?hl=%2Bduncan+%2Bcampbell+%2Bauction&do=findComment&comment=320130).

I would be very wary that this wing is "out of the woodwork" from the original family.

Sorry.

I wouldn't gauge the wing above to mine as the one above is jeweler made and mine is die struck but believe the die struck one is good,Going to do more research to see about if that is pilot name or maker.