DSC upgrade to MOH questions.

Mike Serpa

What happens when a DSC is upgraded to a MOH? Does the recipient give back his DSC? Is the DSC citation stricken from the books? Any other information to add? Thanks.

uniformcollector

Not sure about all recipients, but when Lieutenant Colonel Charles Kettles had his DSC upgraded last year, he sent back his original DSC. I'm not sure what happened to it from there. However, he still has his citation and I don't think they would have taken it from him had he not offered to return it. At a certain point, what would the government have to gain by taking a medal from a man who earned it just because it was upgraded?

I -think- the award is rescinded if the upgrade is approved. Doesn't mean the serviceman has to return the award, just that they now wear the MOH in its place. I stress the think part because during the recent ceremonies that were upgrades from lower awards, many of the recipients were still wearing their original award on their uniform.

Kyle

Not sure about all recipients, but when Lieutenant Colonel Charles Kettles had his DSC upgraded last year, he sent back his original DSC. I'm not sure what happened to it from there. However, he still has his citation and I don't think they would have taken it from him had he not offered to return it. At a certain point, what would the government have to gain by taking a medal from a man who earned it just because it was upgraded?

Thanks. IMO Kettles did the right thing. The government has nothing to gain. It seems improper to wear both medals if the lesser one were upgraded.

uniformcollector

Good point. I think he is still as sharp as he was 50 years ago and was quick to offer his medal once upgraded. As far as wearing the ribbon at ceremonies, I believe that is because the veteran is still a cross recipient up until the moment that the President places the new medal around his neck and signs the citation. After that, I have seen the DSC ribbon switched out with a MOH ribbon.

Good point. I think he is still as sharp as he was 50 years ago and was quick to offer his medal once upgraded. As far as wearing the ribbon at ceremonies, I believe that is because the veteran is still a cross recipient up until the moment that the President places the new medal around his neck and signs the citation. After that, I have seen the DSC ribbon switched out with a MOH ribbon.

Thanks.

(Your avatar with some guy.)

post-162414-0-12891200-1501010536.jpg

In times past, a separate general order rescinding the first award was promulgated, and then another general order awarded the upgraded award. I'm sure there were many variations of this, but I've seen this method happen before.

As far as the physical award, the recipient retained it as a souvenir. They just couldn't wear it anymore.

uniformcollector

Thanks.

(Your avatar with some guy.)

Thanks Mike, that's a great shot! Col. Fisher was quite a pilot and man. There's another photo I love from that ceremony that shows one of his sons wearing their dad's cap.

• 4 weeks later...