M1926 Tunic with Interesting Pre War Insignia

heftaa01

Just picked this Tunic up as I've been looking for more interwar uniforms lately. The insignia is interesting to me, but I've not seen any like it before. Marked with a Caduceus and "US 1" discs. Crests are a sheild of red and silver (or red and gold) with some sort of plant. Chevrons are a medical corporal?

post-88120-0-33432800-1500504039_thumb.jpgpost-88120-0-68402800-1500505914_thumb.jpg

Any Ideas? Does it look legitimate

Wow! What a great EM blouse! The unit crest is that of the 1st Medical Squadron, which was a unit assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division in the interwar period. The unit was later re-designated as the 15th Medical Battalion. Here is a link to the unit's lineage- http://15thmedbnassociation.org/History/15th-medical-battalion-history.aspx

The chevrons are also pre-war manufacture. It appears to me that they were once SGT chevrons, but the top rocker appears to have been cut off. During this period of time, I am sure the soldier was far more interested in saving his money for more important things than chevrons. Since these are branch specific, I would assume that they were private purchase rather than issue.

The US/1 brass makes perfect sense as that relates to the 1st Medical Squadron.

Allan