WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

• 2 months later...

Nice pic of Col. Henry Conger Pratt wearing a wing badge made by Dan S. Dunham. Colonel Pratt was C.O. of Kelly Field, TX during World War 1.

post-4542-1331266997.jpg

Putting a potential full name to the studio photograph is exciting stuff! I tried get a close-up image of the wings depicted on Lt. William Mathews A.E.F. identification paper, but was not very successful. Between the uneven surface caused by the embossed seal, and the lack of detail in the original shot, I was only able to come up with a very limited outline of the down-swept wings.

Russ,

That's an interesting wing you've shown us on Lt. Mathews A.E.F. identification paper. In the picture below is an odd badge with somewhat similar shaped wings but its center shield is not as well defined.

post-4542-1331365887.jpg

Elliott White Springs - World War I ace (1896-1959) wearing a 1917 style Military Aviator pilot badge with star above the shield.

post-4542-1331427764.jpg

Elliott White Springs - World War I ace (1896-1959) wearing a 1917 style Military Aviator pilot badge with star above the shield.

Cliff,

Very nice pic of Elliott White Springs.

Have you noticed that most of the old pilots that trained and flew with the Brits continue to wear the USR and Signal Flags rather than the wing and prop. Henry Clay continued wearing that insignia until his death in 1919. Elliott and Henry were of the same early period and both went through their training with the Brits.

Terry

Cliff,

Very nice pic of Elliott White Springs.

Have you noticed that most of the old pilots that trained and flew with the Brits continue to wear the USR and Signal Flags rather than the wing and prop. Henry Clay continued wearing that insignia until his death in 1919. Elliott and Henry were of the same early period and both went through their training with the Brits.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sorry but your eyes are a lot sharper than mine... and my memory is about shot too!

BTW, there are a couple of neat little videos available on the internet which shows a good number of the pilots who flew with the 148th Aero Squadron, including Henry Clay. The resolution is fantastic. Don't you have his unifom?

See:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675022...ant-E-W-Springs

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675022...pended-aircraft

Kind regards,

Cliff

post-4542-1331462768.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is another fine portrait of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, American World War 1 Ace-of-Aces with 26 aerial victores. The uniform he is wearing in the portrait is now on display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center which is the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (NASM) annex at Washington's Dulles International Airport in the Chantilly area of Fairfax County, Virginia.

post-4542-0-33378100-1358100997_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add these 2. (I added a separate thread in the groupings section.) Attributed to Lt. Thomas D. Howard, Coast Artillery Corps.

post-322-0-56352100-1362450946.jpgpost-322-0-60755600-1362450966.jpg

post-322-0-14851200-1362451000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Uniforms of the Day

Does anyone have examples of the metal/bullion combination types? All metal shield with bullion wings and details? I was looking for some examples to refer to. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
americankraut

This is my Fiances Great Grandfathers tunic He was a Pilot Instructor during WWI.

It is on the right sleeve if I remember correctly

post-84213-0-74728900-1364934618.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add these 2. (I added a separate thread in the groupings section.) Attributed to Lt. Thomas D. Howard, Coast Artillery Corps.

attachicon.gifHoward A.jpgattachicon.gifHoward B.jpg

attachicon.gifHoward 1.jpg

Kurt,

Very nice observer wings. This style is most likely British mfg. I have had two very similar that were worn by Lt. Ralph Dold and was told that he picked both up in england. I have never seen french mfg wings constructed in this manner which is typical of the brits. Again very nice, thanks for posting.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Nice wings. I don't think I have every seen one like that with a metal "US" on a bullion shield.

Very cool.

Patrick