WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

Back a few years ago, I posted this picture (see post #80).  I was able to figure out who the photo was of, and what he did.  This is a picture of Eugene Osmun Barr MD (3/25/1895 - 1/21/1965). Born and raised in Washington DC, he served from 2/9/1918 unto being discharged on 1/10/1919.  After leaving the Army Air Service, he went to University of Virginia and became a doctor.  It appears he had a private medical practice in Washington DC until his death.  He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Prior and early in WWI, he was a Government clerk.  However, It appears he was commissioned at Gerstner Field, Lake Charles, LA in Feb of 1918, and then went to Hazelhurst Field, in Mineola Long Island where he was further trained to fly the Italian heavy Caproni bomber.  During this time, he became involved in medical experiments testing the limits of human physiology in flight (effects of altitude, oxygen, pressure, etc on pilots).  Discharged from the Army in January of 1919, he enrolled in medical school soon after.

His participation in medical testing my have led him into the medical field, as he enrolled at UVA and graduated in 1924 as a MD.  He is listed in the faculty of UVA as an instructor of Anatomy and Physiology at UVA in 1929 or so.

He also wrote the first book on aviation related medicine titled "Flying Men and Medicine".  It seems that during the time between WWI and WWII he was involved in assessing the medical suitability of pilots for flight, and may have actually been one of the first group of flight surgeons in the USAAF (but I need to do more research on this).  Apparently his nickname was Oz and he seems to have been well established expert in aviation physiology in the interwar period.  I am going to look him up in the American Medical Association books and see what else I can glean about him.

It doesn't seem he ever went overseas, but he is wearing what many people tend to identify as a "French style" wing.  I have never been a proponent of this, and I suspect this particular pattern of wing may have its roots in US manufacturing rather than overseas manufacturing.  Although it is hard to see the specifics in this, otherwise, rather nice photo.  But it is nice to be able to put an name and history to it, so I introduce you all to 1st Lt E O Barr.

BTW, this photo was taken by the Marceau photo studio in New York, and may give some insight into who/where these wings were manufactured.  This pattern of bullion pilot wings are also sometimes linked to New England USAS pilots...

Scan1.jpeg

Scan2.jpeg

• 1 month later...

A nice image, with a clear wing.  Alas, no ID.

s-l1600.jpg.3fad45f8c739db154dcbcd1b808311fc.jpg

Appears to be this style wing or one very similar:

IMG_1194.jpeg.1d2902d8f52bd05bcd34dbb38e205133.jpeg

Chris

• 5 months later...

Biographical 1st-type Observer badge from a young 2nd Lieutenant who earned his Observer rating I the waning weeks of the war--long after the badge was obsolete.  Yet another example of how many observers chose to wear the 1st-type badge:

Wing1.jpg.9167d336bcc0b946783c9d85b3562341.jpg

• 1 month later...

Provenance: Rock Island Auction Company; Lot 1466; The Putnam Green/Sycamore Collection; (August 2022). 

WWI, U.S. Air Service, Bullion Bombing Military Aviator Wing

IMG_3360.JPG.5b71af64dafa8c9440a7f7c1f211f3e8.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_E3363.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG