H.C. Dillie US Volunteer - Brit 34th Sqdn

April 1918 New RAF Blue Uniform

post-3422-1299883984.jpg

H.C. Dillie US Volunteer on Cuff Rank Khaki uniform

Here's a few from my Id'ed Groupings

IMG_4037.jpg

H.A. Wardle on British Tailored Uniform

IMG_4038.jpg

H.A. Wardle on American Made Uniform (Pinback)

Belleauwood,

Thank you for posting your Id'ed bullion wings. They are truely exceptional!

Belleauwood,

Thank you for posting your Id'ed bullion wings. They are truely exceptional!

Belleauwood...or should we just call you Mr. Wood?

Thanks for sharing your wings with us--stunning as always. I don't know about the rest of the "wing dingers" but I get tingly and giddy when ever I see you have posted something from your collection. Fantastic stuff!

Patrick

Belleauwood

Patrick,

Dennis still works for me. There are so many great collections that are exhibited here on this forum that one's perspective of self is kept in check. You, and others like you on this forum are really the only reason I take time out of my busy family schedule to post some of my collection and look for all the great posts from all the forum members. That being said, You can call me "Mr. Wood" - Thank You

Absolutely outstanding wings. This is one of my favorite topics on the forum to follow. I'm lucky enough to own one nice pair of WW1 bullion wings and would love to add to it eventually. This topic is a great education on what to look for. Thanks for posting these Dennis. I truly admire the stuff you have been able to acquire. Great pieces of history.

I forgot about this one - Rather Rare

post-3422-1300022382.jpg

Wing of J.B. Henry - Balloonist, WW1 USN

Dennis, This wing seems to have a broken wing. Please ship it to me for repair.

Mark

Dennis,

Re: Colonel, Maurice R. Smith, USAFR

I had the good fortune to visit Maurice Smith several times during the last 12 years of his life. Originally from Kansas City, MO, in the latter half of his life he and his wife spent their winters in Lake Wells, FL, summers in Linville, NC , and both spring & fall in my home town. An avid golfer, he played in a number of tournaments sponsored by the American Seniors Golf Association well into his 80's and won several of them.

Did you know that during World War 1, as C.O. of the 5th Balloon Company, Captain Smith and Lt. Joseph M. Fox directed Frank Luke, the famous "Balloon Buster" of the 27th Aero Squadron, to his first 'Boche' balloon victim? Then after Luke shot it down Captain Smith confirm the official 'kill' for Luke? It's all documented.

Looking back, there was no finer gentleman you would ever hope to meet. He passed away in Lake Wells, FL on October 30, 1994

I have a lot of other information on Colonel Smith and if you would like copies I will be glad to send some to you.

Sincerely,

Cliff

post-4542-1300037085.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lt. Col. Henry B. Hersey, Commandant of the Army Balloon School, AEF from 2 December 1918 to 24 December 1918.

...................................................................... :unsure:

post-4542-1301884940.jpg

One of my favorites is this unique bullion wing with white ribbed silk shield worn by Lt. Henry R. Clay, 8 1/2 Kills, DSC, DFC, 43 Squadron RFC, 148th Aero Squadron and 41st Aero Squadron.

post-6022-1301965374.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
IMPERIAL QUEST
One of my favorites is this unique bullion wing with white ribbed silk shield worn by Lt. Henry R. Clay, 8 1/2 Kills, DSC, DFC, 43 Squadron RFC, 148th Aero Squadron and 41st Aero Squadron.

Major,

I see some British influence in the pattern of the bullion in the shoulder areas but mostly in the use of the double row used in the outline of the shield. To this point in my studies, I believe that I have only seen this style of outline used in British made examples. I haven't seen it in French or US examples. Would I be correct in saying that this is a Brit manufactured wing?

Major,

I see some British influence in the pattern of the bullion in the shoulder areas but mostly in the use of the double row used in the outline of the shield. To this point in my studies, I believe that I have only seen this style of outline used in British made examples. I haven't seen it in French or US examples. Would I be correct in saying that this is a Brit manufactured wing?

Steve,

Can't say for sure, but it would be my first assumption. Lt. Clay trained and flew with the Brits before going over to the 148th.

Terry

IMPERIAL QUEST
Steve,

Can't say for sure, but it would be my first assumption. Lt. Clay trained and flew with the Brits before going over to the 148th.

Terry

Major,

I am still trying to find the source of where I saw another set with the silk shield background. Maybe someone here can post a photo of one they know of. I seem to remember that the one I saw was to a member of the 94th Aero.

• 2 months later...

Three very fine Aeronaut wing badges posted in this thread that deserve extra attention.

Courtesy of... beginning from the top:

Post #14 "Patrick"

Post #44 "Trenchbuff"

Post #123 "Dennis"

:love:

post-4542-1309194554.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I'll add a few of mine (also shown here http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/02.html ).

This is one that I really like. Likely an English-made wing. It is hared to see, but the center part of the wing has a great deal of padding and really sticks out.

One thing to notice is that the edges have a darker patina then the top part of the wing. In my experience, this isn't that rare in these bullion wings and may be due to the "edge effect" of the end of the bullion being more exposed to the air than the center parts of the bullion.

Patrick

The badge worn by Major Melvin Adams Hall in this portrait looks very similar to the one in Patricks post #10.

Cliff

post-4542-1311441143.jpg

post-4542-1311441216.jpg

John Cooper

Cliff - is it the photo or is the bullion really that thick to make this wing badge look so massive?

Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Cliff - is it the photo or is the bullion really that thick to make this wing badge look so massive?

Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Hi John,

:think: Patrick would have to answer that question since the wing badge

just above the photograph belongs to him; however, he did add that the

center shield on the wing has a great deal of padding and really sticks out.

Cliff :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting!

Cheers

John,

The wing in question is of British Mfg. The wings have some padding but the shield is extremely thick protruding out a 1/4" plus. The bullion itself is a very fine silver thread much thinner that that usually found. Attached is Earl Forsyth's brit mfg wing and his Italian pilots badge.

Terry

post-6022-1325000220.jpg