WW1 Bullion Wings: patterns and examples

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While not a photograph of a wing badge; it is a fine print of a portrait done in water color of Captain Douglas Campbell, 94th Aero Squadron, painted in 1919 by the artist, Joseph Cummings Chase. The title of the book in which it was found is, Harper's Pictorial Library of the World War, Volume X, published in 1920 by Harper & Brothers.

Thought it would be ashame to keep it all to myself and hope some of you will like it as much as me.

Cliff :-)

post-4542-1287898004.jpg

While not a photograph of a wing badge; it is a fine print of a portrait done in water color of Captain Douglas Campbell, 94th Aero Squadron, painted in 1919 by the artist, Joseph Cummings Chase. The title of the book in which it was found is, Harper's Pictorial Library of the World War, Volume X, published in 1920 by Harper & Brothers.

Thought it would be ashame to keep it all to myself and hope some of you will like it as much as me.

Cliff :-)

Nice water color portrait Cliff. The artist eludes to the hat-in-the-ring insignia above the wings with just a couple of simple strokes of the brush. Thanks for posting.

Nice water color portrait Cliff. The artist eludes to the hat-in-the-ring insignia above the wings with just a couple of simple strokes of the brush. Thanks for posting.

Hi Russ,

Many thinks. I had a feeling that you especially would appreciate it. The artist, Joseph C. Chase, had a style very similar to that of the well known French artist, Lieutenant Henry Farré, often referred to as the first military aviation combat artist (1914-1918). Farré also painted portraits of several WWI aces such as Captain Georges Guynemer, Major William Thaw and others (see below).

The next task will be to have larger color prints made of these three images to frame and mount on the wall in my home office.

Cheers,

Cliff

post-4542-1288244898.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a new one that I hope will be joining me soon. Better pictures to come.

I believe that this is a French made wing variation. One of the variations I have been looking for for some time.

Patrick

post-1519-1291427917.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST
Here is a new one that I hope will be joining me soon. Better pictures to come.

I believe that this is a French made wing variation. One of the variations I have been looking for for some time.

Patrick

Patrick,

Beautiful, and you are correct, these are French. I had an almost identical set on the tunic of Maj. Harry L. Wingate (I posted the uniform on the forum). Every example of this design (two, to be exact) that I have seen had some connection to Tours, France. This is a nearly impossible design to find.

Very nice find Patrick. It will have a great home in your collection. You've got to be close to getting just about every pattern there is for WW1 bullion aviator badges by now.

Very nice find Patrick. It will have a great home in your collection. You've got to be close to getting just about every pattern there is for WW1 bullion aviator badges by now.

Hey Bob,

If only it were true. I have had a bit of a run of good luck with the WWI stuff over the past year or two. This particular pattern has simply resonated with me for a long time (back to when I saw Steve's uniform). I think because it is so unique in style and construction.

Patrick

Hey Bob,

If only it were true. I have had a bit of a run of good luck with the WWI stuff over the past year or two. This particular pattern has simply resonated with me for a long time (back to when I saw Steve's uniform). I think because it is so unique in style and construction.

Patrick

Ha! I had my eyes on this one but didn't throw my name in the hat. Nice grab, Patrick.

Well, I got the uniform yesterday. It is very nice. A New York made uniform, with French insignia, bullion LT bars, and bullion wing. It also has a 3rd Aviation Instruction patch on the shoulder.

The only name I could find was A. L. Eibner (or Eianer). Any ideas?

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I got the uniform yesterday. It is very nice. A New York made uniform, with French insignia, bullion LT bars, and bullion wing. It also has a 3rd Aviation Instruction patch on the shoulder.

The only name I could find was A. L. Eibner (or Eianer). Any ideas?

Patrick

Patrick,

I know of one word for that exceptional French made bullion badge with added sequins. SWEET!

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

Lt. Harry Estile Tucker, Booton, NJ, Princeton SMA, 3rd AIC.

The photo is orange shifted due to lighting, so the backing looks less blue and the bullion and uniform more orange-ish.

post-4331-1294340717.jpg

Lt. Harry Estile Tucker, Booton, NJ, Princeton SMA, 3rd AIC.

The photo is orange shifted due to lighting, so the backing looks less blue and the bullion and uniform more orange-ish.

Michael, that is a very fine French made wing badge... and it is especially nice to know that it is one that can be attributed to a known aviator. :wink2:

:thumbsup: Just in case a few members are not familiar with 'njaviators' he is better known as Michael O'Neal, a long term member of the American Society of Aviator Artists. Many of his beautiful paintings have appeared on the front cover of Over the Front, the journal published by the League of WWI Aviation Historians. If you want to do yourself a big favor visit his website at:

http://www.michaelonealaviationart.com/index.html

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Michael, that is a very fine French made wing badge... and it is especially nice to know that it is one that can be attributed to a known aviator.

Just in case a few members are not familiar with 'njaviators' he is better known as Michael O'Neal, a long term member of the American Society of Aviator Artists. Many of his beautiful paintings have appeared on the front cover of Over the Front, the journal published by the League of WWI Aviation Historians. If you want to do yourself a big favor visit his website at:

http://www.michaelonealaviationart.com/index.html

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I was happy to snag this one. That gives me both an ID'd NJ pilot and observer tunic....

• 1 month later...

A nice picture of Captain Reed G. Landis, MA, USAAS, wearing a very rare bullion embroidery Military Aviator (MA) badge with star... that was made in America. Note as can be seen in the picture, the badge was sewn tightly to a metal form with a pin on the back for easy removal from the uniform

In 1917, Captain Landis joined the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps. He finished his training as a Reserve Military Aviator (RMA) in England, and was posted to Number 40 Squadron RAF. Between 8 May 1918 and 19 August 1918 he scored 12 aerial victories. In late August 1918 he was appointed C.O. of the 25th Aero Squadron, USAAS. Early in 1919, via an Act of Congress, Captain Landis was awarded the advanced rating Military Aviator.

post-4542-1299783436.jpg

Interesting picture of BG Benjamin D. Foulois, MA, USAAS, Chief of Air Service, AEF, wearing a French made bullion embroidery Military Aviator (MA) badge with star, sewn to his uniform.

Also pictured below is a somewhat similar looking French made bullion embroidery Military Aviator (MA) badge with star, worn by Lt/Col. Arthur R. Christie, MA, USAAS, Commander of the 5th Observation Group, AEF.

post-4542-1299800752.jpg

Military Aviator (MA) wing ensemble with the star sewn above the shield of a French made badge on the uniform of Captain Edward V. Rickenbacker, MA, USAAS - National Air and Space Museum.

post-4542-1299803677.jpg

Belleauwood

Here's a few from my Id'ed Groupings

post-3422-1299883384.jpg

H.A. Wardle on British Tailored Uniform

post-3422-1299883399.jpg

H.A. Wardle on American Made Uniform (Pinback)